Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stan's ZTR Rims set up Tubeless – what do I need?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

I’ve settled on Stan’s Crest on Hope Pro 3 hubs for my new wheelset and would like to run standard Racing Ralphs tubeless, am I right in saying these are the things I need to do so:

Stan’s rim tape
    Stan’s sealant

Is there anything else I need?

RealMan
    Free Member

Valves, unless the wheels come with them (they might).

uplink
    Free Member

You’ll need a valve

Alejandro
    Free Member

Ah okay, cheers, like this pair I take it:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=118

Setup isn’t a problem as I’ll have someone helping out, this tubeless stuff is black magic to me at the moment!

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah they’ll work. It’s pretty simple, if you’ve got someone helping you, do one wheel whilst they do the other. You’ll be an expert in no time.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got the same rims – just use the yellow tape to seal the holes, trim the tape around the valve hole (with a stanley knife so you get a clean cut or with a file like on the stans website) and get 2 universal Stans valves:

http://www.notubes.com/Universal-35mm-Mountain-Valve-Stem-P558C16.aspx

vinnyeh

I’m assuming you’ve got a good track pump/access to a compressor/CO2 cartridge?

Alejandro
    Free Member

I have a crap track pump but yes I do have CO2’s 😉

vinnyeh

double post

vinnyeh

If you need to use CO2 then once the tyre’s sealed let it down and reinflate with the pump- CO2 will solidify the latex in the wheel in a day or two and you’ll have no liquid sealant left in there to deal with punctures.

sweatyyeti
    Free Member

Hope sell a kit with everything you need to turn the Stans rims into tubeless.

Hope tubeless Stans kit

Alejandro
    Free Member

Cheers – so if I’m out on the trails and inflate with CO2 to fix a puncture I’d do well to let that out and inflate it with normal air upon getting home?

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve always just set them up with a track pump, then if I’ve ever had to add air on the trail, just used a mini pump.

bigjim

Crests are a doddle with a track pump. Arches are a bit trickier.

spooky_b329

Try not to use C02 at all.

If you are out on the trail a repair usually involves an inner tube, so then the C02 doesn’t matter.

If you use a tubeless repair kit to bung up a hole, then the tyre should still be seated. With any luck it will have only lost 10 – 20PSI by the time you plug a hole with the kit anyway.

honourablegeorge

If they’re the new, tubeless ready Schwalbes, then they’ll go on with a track pump no bother.

Couldn’t believe how easy mine went up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you have trouble with them can definitely recommend this Ghetto tubeless inflator.

mintimperial

You’ll most likely need to keep topping them up with air for a few days at least. Took a couple of weeks for mine to settle down properly. Mine are Crests with non-tubeless-ready High Rollers. They were easy enough to get set up with a track pump, relatively speaking, but leaked air a lot at the start. Ace now though.

shortcut

Fairy liquid and a sponge!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stan's ZTR Rims set up Tubeless – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.