Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stans valves and hope enduro wheels, leak
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

After having lots of issues getting a TEasy racing Ralph to seat onto a 27.5 hope enduro wheel, using regular stans yellow tape, and the £12-14 stans valves (2 pack) succumbing to buying an airshot and finally seating the tyre I did per the videos shake the liquid around and leave on either side for 15 mins, (I’ve recently done mavic rims and stans tubeless ready rims no problem 20 mins a tyre)

The damn tyre was flat, I pumped it back up and the escaping air sealant was coming out the base of the valve,
    I had initially pulled the valve and hand tightened the ring to the rim..

Any advice, my mate used orange valves and had no problems at all, has anyone else struggled with stan valves?

Any tips or recommedations, thanks in advance. Damn wheels

Yak

Hand tight is fine. I’d take the tyre off and check you haven’t nicked the stans tape somewhere. Stans coming out of the rim hole can often have migrated from a leak elsewhere.

mattherby
    Free Member

May be worth putting a layer of gorilla tape down as extra rim tape.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No problems at all & we fit hundreds of them every year.
    Although we tend to use gorilla tape & not stand tape on Hope rims, as they seem to benefit from the extra thickness when it comes to seating the tyre

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ive been having trouble with a slow leak, changed the tape & valves last night, I done the valves up tighter with some needle nose pliers. Got the tyres seated & they are still at full pressure this morning* 😀

*Touches wood, crosses fingers & does a little pixie dance.

otsdr
    Free Member

Hand tight while pushing with your thumb on the rubber bit…

jonnym92

I recently did this albeit with different tyres. I used the eBay special stans rim tape, went round the rim twice (this is what Hope recommended) and used stans valves. Went up with a track pump.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what Yak said – the only “leak” I’ve had is when catching the rim tape when taking off/putting on the tyre. The “leak” manifested itself at the valve.

noltae
    Free Member

I use gorilla – and use a second strip over valve hole – Burn a hole through tape rather than cutting through with blade – this way one can get a perfect seal – as soon as tyre is up with sealant – leave wheel with valve at 6 o’clock – do this as well as leaving alternating side to side – don’t rush things ..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I can almost guarantee it won’t be the valve leaking. There will be a gap in the tape somewhere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can almost guarantee it won’t be the valve leaking. There will be a gap in the tape somewhere

This ^^^

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks for all the great advice guys, had a feeling it would be leaking into the tube of the rim and then out the valve hole, but i’d checked the tape and not spotted any tears or rips, but the tape does seem quite near some spoke holes, so maybe as others have said go back to the gorilla tape.

Northwind

+ another one for tape.

But if it’s the valve, tbh stans valves aren’t the best. The WTB ones- Superstar sell them too, and some others- with the huge conical base, work much better ime. Much more tolerant of taping too.

jonnym92

This is the tape I purchased to use on mine, it sits over the ‘trench’ on the tech enduros. Wound it round twice and got it tight. No problems as of yet.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv had issues with Stans valves working their way through the rim and then eventually being blasted out at high speed. Started using DT Swiss valves instead as they have a larger rubber bit. This did occur on a DT Swiss rim though so maybe the valve hole is slightly bigger?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stans valves and hope enduro wheels, leak’ is closed to new replies.