Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stans Tape vs Gorilla Tape
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Looking to convert my Flow EX rims to tubeless was looking to get Gorilla tape (25mm) to save a few £££’s. Andy disadvantages or just as good/better?

jekkyl

I’ve never used stans tape, only gorilla so can’t compare. Gorilla works for me. A couple of wraps of electricians tape before so when you do take it off it leaves sticky residue on the tape rather than your rim. Take your time and do it well, if when you inflate there’s sealant coming out of the spoke holes it means you’ve done a shitty job of taping it up.

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers anyone got a link to any videos?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scc999

As above, only used Gorilla tape – done 2 sets of wheels (Giant PC2’s and Superstar Tech4’s) without any issues.

Si

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have wheels set up with both.

My experiance is that after about a year when i go to change tires the gorilla tape has disintagrated

The original stans on my 355s still like new. Had em for 7 years

How ever i have lots of gorilla tape and no stans so i just change the tape when i change tires

andylc
    Free Member

Stans tape works great, I can’t see why you need to save a few quid when your bike probably cost thousands, but each to his own…

Daffy

Tesa Tape on eBay – Clicky Link

Exactly the same as Stan’s but 1/7th the £/m

craigxxl
    Free Member

Used both and find Gorilla tape easier to fit but prefer Stans due to the fomer being a bitch to remove and clean up off the rim if you break a spoke. If cost is the issue use a good quality insulation or self amalgamating tape.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My Spesh Purgatory tyres wouldn’t seat on crest rims with gorilla tape despite lots of soapy water. When the tape was replaced with stans they went straight up.

ssboggy

I use the same stuff Daffy has linked to, tried gorilla tape recently on a Dually rim and didn’t ride it straight away to properly seal it and as the tyre slowly deflated it pulled all the tape off the rim and made a proper mess.
    That’ll be the first and last time I use gorilla tape

muggomagic

I did a mavic xm319 with just gorilla tape earlier in the week. Went up absolutely fine with the Coke bottle compressor. It’s held pressure and I’m really pleased that for £2.99 I’ve managed to convert my HT to tubeless.

I used this guide here. http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-repair/tech-how-to-ghetto-tubeless-for-mountain-bikes/

sharkattack

3 bikes here set up with Gorilla tape. Including one with Purg tyres as mentioned above. Never had a problem.

You also see it in lots of pro tool boxes at the world cups.

windyg
    Free Member

5 Sets of wheels all set up with Gorilla, not had a single problem, first set I did would have been around 2 – 3 years ago and still have the same tape on and never lose air.

leegee

I always put a tube in for a day or so fairly high pressure to seat the tape. Makes a difference.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the Gorilla tape is okay and works but like the look of the stuff Daffy linked I even better, will also be a little cheaper than Stans as I have a few sets to sort.

As for Andylc’s comment, yes I have a few £000’s worth of bikes but have brought and built them mostly new but saved 000’s on RRP, Reverb £130 new, just brought some new Pikes £340 etc so yeah every £ I can save is a bonus! Yes I was looking at a £10 saving but that’s enough to buy the fluid! The question was not so much about cost but product effectiveness, if it was as good or better I’d go for the cheaper every time on something like rim tape that is hidden away. I’m sure it would be nice to live in a world where I didn’t need look at prices, the day that happens will be the day I’ve got too much money.

PS my bikes are very nice and probably much cheaper than what others have paid for what I would consider a lower quality/standard, I could neither afford not justify biking equipment at RRP!

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers leegee will look at doing that.

eshershore
    Free Member

I used to work for the Stan’s UK distributor and can tell you the tape is just a packaged 3M product – overpriced for sure 😉

Specialized used to bring the same product, in a wider format and coloured blue, into the UK under their “roval” guise until they received a cease/desist notice, and sadly stopping doing it. It was about £10 for a big roll that would do multiple wheels, and wider so more suited to modern wheelsets

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stans Tape vs Gorilla Tape’ is closed to new replies.