• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stans tape, if torn does it need to be replaced?
  • acjim
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you need to replace stans tubeless tape if it’s torn? I’ve ripped mine a bit (over zealous with tyre levers) and now want to use the wheels for tubeless tyres.

Ta

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have done the same in the past and have replaced just in case. I didn’t want to set everything up including fluid to then have to pull everything apart. I have stopped using Stans tape and have gone for Gorilla Tape – http://amzn.to/2aHcdJw working really well and less than £3 a roll. It was recommend by a wheel builder I know.

honourablegeorge

You’ll know pretty quickly ‘cos air will come out the spoke holes or at the valve

deadkenny
    Free Member

Odd little tears and cuts will seal with the sealant (make sure it’s Stans. Some sealants are a bit thin and poor for anything but micro holes). As said, you’ll soon find out. Won’t likely have a blow out riding. It’s rim beads that can go pop, and decent rims and tyres plus not too heavy rider and they’ll stay in place.

Gorilla Tape is the standard ghetto method and works very well http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Gorilla-Tape-Tubeless-Conversion.html

Don’t need to buy Gorilla branded. Any similar heavy duty tape will do.

ajantom

I’d replace for piece of mind. I had a similar issue, and it was fine for a while but started leaking after a couple of weeks.
    Initially I set up all of my wheels with Gorilla tape, but if you need to take it off the residue is really difficult to remove, so I’ve started using this stuff – Tesa Tape – it’s exactly the same as Stan’s tape, but you get 66m for a tenner. enough to keep you going for ages!

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks folks, some good tips

DT78
    Free Member

Use gorilla tape here. Works great, understand the point about it being a faff to remove, but, not entirely sure why you would want to remove it once fitted.

Squirrel

I’ve stuck a new piece of tape over a small tear before and it worked.

oldfart

Well after 2 frustrating evenings trying to top up two of my wheels I learnt through LBS mechanic how important tape integrity is ! So yes if in doubt re tape , my fault for thinking Stans tape was bombproof seeing how dear it is !

MSP

Stans tape is tesa strapping tape, you can get it in 66m rolls in a variety of widths and not have to bother about blowing through small rolls of expensive stans. And it is less faff than gorilla tape.

I get it here http://shop-gwk.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p341_tesa–strapping–4289—laenge–66-m—breite–30-mm—farbe–gelb.html&XTCsid=24c9d4b91c25673cf8d02445eadcb3b1&=

Also usually available on ebay.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Like Squirrel I just stick a new bit over the torn bits and it’s fine

STATO
    Free Member

Im still note sure Tesa tape is exactly the same as stans tape, I have both and the stans is a little more sticky and seems to conform to bends in the rim better. However Tesa is so much cheaper and perfectly adequate if you apply it well, so I use that now.

[edit] best stuff ive used is schwalbe tape though, so easy to apply. Same price as stans though.

benp1

There are loads of types of tesa tape

Not sure what mine is but it’s successfully tubeless’d 2 different wheels, someone off here pointed it out to me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stans tape, if torn does it need to be replaced?’ is closed to new replies.