Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stans sealant alternatives?
  • scruff
    Free Member

My Stans big bottle is depleted of its milky fluid, I’ve always used Stans and its mostly been fine but Im not a serial tyre swapper so it dries up and I dont notice until I get a thorn hole which wont seal.

There’s a few more on the market now like Conti Revo, WTB TCS, Mavic, Joe’s etc. Anyone used these and care to comment of effectivity of sealing and longevity of staying liquididity?

Im not going to Hobbycraft to but latex, antfreeze and glitter.

MussEd
    Free Member

Cafe latex is good

onewheelgood

I won some Slime tubeless sealant in the Mayhem Christmas Competition. It’s in my hardtail’s tyres at the moment – seems to be working, but too early to say how it performs long term. It is alleged to be specially formulated to work with CO2 inflators.

emac65
    Free Member

The JRA Wheel Milk isn’t up to much,seals the tyre ok when first fitting,but every time I had a puncture it just pi$$ed all the gunk out without sealing ! Dries out quicker than Stans IME…

honourablegeorge

MussEd – Member
    Cafe latex is good

Found it utterly hopeless, although I think there may me a “new” one as opposed to the one I had

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve been using Slime Pro for about two and a half years and the first set of wheels and tyres I had mounted with it still had liquid in but refused to seal a sizeable hole a month ago……the fifty odd thorns it had sealed well with CO2 and or pump/compressor top ups. Having had issues with Stans curing into a ball I have slime Pro in all my wheelsets!

singletracksurfer

stuff from on one was cheap. Hasn’t worked for me though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

There is a good reason Stans is the market leader .

allthepies
    Free Member

Stoner has a homebrew formula I believe 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

I’m trying the specialized stuff at the minute, seems to be working ok. I was sick of the stans stuff going off remarkably quickly. Interesting to hear about the slime stuff though

nuke

MussEd – Member
    Cafe latex is good

Found it utterly hopeless, although I think there may me a “new” one as opposed to the one I had[/quote]

Heard various opinions on cafe latex from great to awful. Ive had mixed results as the only time Ive had a tyre randomly blow off the front wheel whilst just riding along was when I started using Cafe Latex…whether it was the sealant, who knows but it scared the hell out of me and I went back to Stans and its never happed again. Having said that, it the only stuff that when I add it to the tyre with the stans syringe, it will ‘set’ on everything that it touches..syringe, fingers etc all left sealed with latex unlike Stans

chakaping
    Free Member

Tried joes but stans seems to work better tbh.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I used some OKO stuff, once it got distributed evenly it was fine, water based lasts ages

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Things are always more satisfying when you Homebrew:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/homebrew-tyre-sealant

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/best-tubeless-brew-406115.html

I can’t remember my exact recipe, but probably similar to the 1st link, with the cheapest bottle of car sealant I could find on ebay (I made 4 pints in a milk container) but I’ve left it for 3 years and it’s still liquid and working fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stans sealant alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.