Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stans Rims with tubes ?
  • iainc

seeing a few threads about getting tubes and tyres onto Stans rims. I have a pair of Crests coming and planning to run with tubes – am i heading for sore hand/broken tyre lever misery ?

Haven’t really thought about tubleless – maybe I should, always seemed a hassle for not much gain, but I don’t know enough about it 😳

patriotpro
    Free Member

am i heading for sore hand/broken tyre lever misery ?

Absolutely, but the “just use a dab of soapy water around the rim advice crew” will be along shortly to help you out. 😉

wwaswas

no different to getting tyres on to run tubeless, ime. Some are right gits others really easy.

honourablegeorge

What tyres? Tubeless worth the hassle – I have Nobby Nics on crests on my Soul, and I haven’t touched them since I bought them in November 2011. No punctures, burps, anything of the sort.

Duane…
    Free Member

I’ve got Flow EXs, run tubes in them, and genuinely didn’t notice any difference coming from none-tubeless rims (721s).

Had kind of forgotten they were tubeless until this thread to be honest..

sunnrider
    Free Member

Maxxis Minions and Flows = broken levers and inventive swearing.
    Eventually got it done, tubeless and works great, I live in fear of the day I rip the sidewall or have to get a tube in on the trail.

iainc

What tyres?

Rampages initially, so no tubeless option without buying new tyres, which I dont want to do just yet

Duane…
    Free Member

I’ve had a few punctures, and changed the rear tyre. Might help if you try and get the beads into the central part of the rim so it can move around more (that probably makes no sense whatsoever..)

Northwind

Depends if you’re any good at fitting tyres tbh 😉 For example:

sunnrider – Member

Maxxis Minions and Flows = broken levers and inventive swearing.

Me: Minions on Flows without perceptible effort. Sorry dude. (I had an Intense 4-ply that wouldn’t go on the Flows but then nobody could get it to go on my 721s either)

Crests are a bit harder than Flows but still not very difficult.

plyphon
    Free Member

I had a Crest with a new Nobbly Nic Evo Snakeskin.

I could not for the life of me get the tyre on. I was using tubes but not sure it would made a difference. I even got my mate round to help.

I tried all the tricks in the books. Rim channel, etc.

Apparently that year & type of Nobbly Nic were known to have issues.

My old Fire XC Pro’s went on really easily, however.

I decided I didn’t want the tyre lottery and potential headache and sent the wheel back (It was brand new), and got a XC717 wheel. The Nobbly Nic went on fine.

Northwind

Yeah, Schwalbe made a load of out-of-spec TLR-model tyres a couple of years back- I got one replaced on warranty as it wouldn’t bead up on any of my tubeless rims (inc my 819s). 90 psi in a tube and sitll not on the beads… They’ve sorted that now though I think, my replacement fitted fine.

scotroutes

If I can fit Marathon Mondials on to Arch EX rims with no tools, talc or soapy water then I fail to see how so many other folk are having so many problems (yes, that’s with tubes in too – it should make no difference.)

warns74
    Free Member

Tried forr an hour to get Conti Mtn King II’s on crest rims (using technique of getting the bead in the centre of the channel) broke one lever and then gave up after only getting one on.
    Went back to Maxxis and they slipped on without the need for levers!

mattjg
    Free Member

Tubes work fine but it’s easier if you bin the stock green ‘rim tape’ (that comes as a Hope Hoop) and put yellow sticky tape in.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You see the only caveat is that you will have to invite northwind on every ride you go on so he can change your tubes if you flat.

iainc

You see the only caveat is that you will have to invite northwind on every ride you go on so he can change your tubes if you flat.

😆

curvature
    Free Member

Minions on Flows…what’s tight about that combo?

Running this same set up tubeless. Went on without levers, pumped up with a track pump and have been fine for the past 6 months.

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

Sounds alright to me. I do weddings as well.

grum
    Free Member

They’ll explode and you’ll die.

davewilson634
    Free Member

On one smorg what Eva they are running tubeless fine on my arch ex 29

663sqd
    Free Member

I had to use 2 tyre levers on my crest rims with racing Ralph’s. . . Impossible by hand only. .

Just go easy using the levers. .

Using tubes shouldn’t make any difference in difficulty

Flows are easier to get tyres on it seems.

FieldMarshall

Minions on Flows never been a problem for me.

SB8s on Arch EX, now thats another story,… whole world of pain.

Andy-R

iainc – Member
    What tyres?
    Rampages initially, so no tubeless option without buying new tyres, which I dont want to do just yet

I’ve used Rampages tubeless with absolutely no problems, either when fitting or in use.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

no different to getting tyres on to run tubeless, ime. Some are right gits others really easy

This

grim168
    Free Member

high roller and a minion on flows. Fitted without levers.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Never planned on going tubeless but bought some wheels with flow rims a few weeks ago and thought why not. Back tyre is a hutchinson cobra, not sure if is TL ready but went on fine and made the great snapping noise as the bead went into the rim. Front tyre is a hans dampf TL ready one, went on fine but disappointingly didn’t make the snapping sound. Looking forward to trying them off road. The weight of 2 MTB tubes is quite a lot really.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´m sensing a conspiracy. Funnily enough I got a Conti RQ on no problem.
    Just to clarify, 2ply Minion DH is the one giving me grief.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Northwind

Sorry Sunnrider- I use Flows on my dh bike, never had a problem with any maxxis dualply inc minions (dp minion was a wee bit tricky to get back off my traversees mind)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stans Rims with tubes ?’ is closed to new replies.