Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stan's rims sealing problems?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using UST for a few years with no problems but have a bike with some 355’s and decided to make them tubeless with some tape and valves.These sealed fine and held air for a few hours.Came back later one was down,inflated and came back later all was fine then the other was down! Pumped it up left overnight was down again,but the other was fine! What gives? Been using Continental Supersonic tyres which might not help and they are not on a bike at present which might help the distribution of the latex.Oh well, pump up again and check again in a few hours!
    Thanx Max

neninja
    Free Member

Did you do the Stans wheel shimmy once the fluid was in?

You need to inflate them and then shake the wheels through different axis to get the fluid round the beads etc.

It’s also good to inflate them and then go for a ride as this has a similar effect.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is a common problem with the Stans system and as Neninja says going for a ride will often solve the issue as it gives the latext the chance to fully seal the tyre (as will the ‘stans shimmy’).

It’s also not uncommon for tyres to bleed air gently over time even once they are sealed. You might find that the tyres are generally quite soft after say a week or two.

It’s one of the downsides of the Stans system in that it’s not perfect. My experience of UST tyres is limited but so far UST tyres don’t seem to leak much if any air. Then again, they are a lot heavier than non-UST tyres you can use with the Stans approach.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’v had this on stans and als non-ust on both stans and ust rims.

A wee spin or shake about sorts it.

Once I had a tyre I doulcn’t inflate, I gave it a shake around on the rim and came back later…it inflated! Amazing stuff – that was just art latex.

Been using Continental Supersonic tyres which might not help and they are not on a bike at present…

I’d say that’s the problem.
    I find it common for the tyres to go down again overnight if I don’t ride the bike straight away.
    If you can’t ride them, just give them a good old slosh around to make sure the sealant gets to where the tyre meets the rim all the way round on both sides.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Well they are both up at present after 3 hours! Will check later.Did do a shimmy and spun the wheels to make sure rims were fully coated.Build is not gonna happen till a few weeks so might have better sucess then!.Thanks for the help!
    Max

Northwind

geetee1972 – Member

This is a common problem with the Stans system All tubeless rims in my experience, it’s not the rim causing it generally, just the sealant needing to be fully spread out. My 819s are exactly the same as my Traversees and my Flows.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stan's rims sealing problems?’ is closed to new replies.