Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stans rims and tubless tyres
  • convert

I’ve just taken the plunge and bought a pair of Hope hoops shod with Stans Flow rims. However, having just watched the video on the Notubes site I’m a bit confused about what tyres I need to use. It appears you don’t need to use UST specific tyres but you can also add a specific rim strip (not the standard stans one) to reduce burping further.

Does anyone use a Flow rim and what tyres do you use? Is there an advantage to using tubeless tyres anyway (I’m thinking wall thickness)?

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got Flows and Arches and use UST 2.25 Racing Ralphs. I run ~20psi and haven’t burped one yet. I like the thicker sidewall as it give me more confidence that tyre damage/cuts is less likely. If I was doing more racing I’d consider using non-UST tyres to save weight, but I’m opting for a little more durability.

convert

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got flow rims and I run Maxxis Advantage 2.1″ exception series tyres with just the yellow tape. I’ve had no burping issues but I do think the tyres are a bit too lightweight for where and how I ride. Advantage LUST will be fitted soon.

kennyNI
    Free Member

Just put a Maxxis Monorail LUST on a 355 rim (replacing a 2.1 Advantage Exception , which was a bit lightweight and wrecked) with the rubber rimstrip. The Monorail LUST was a tight fit. I think just the yellowtape is enough for UST tyres.

If using normal tyres, either method is supposed to work, but easier to get inflated initially with rubber rimstrip.

convert

Where have you found that sells the Stans specific rim strips, or are you using their normal stans rubber strips?

kennyNI
    Free Member

http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/?product=60

Does all my tubeless needs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I get my stans stuff from justridingalong or freeborne. It needs to be a specific rim strip for the flow as the rim already has the required profiling.

toons
    Free Member

You don’t need a rim strip, the yellow tape and valve should do it.

convert

Thanks very much for the link Kenny, it makes it a load clearer! Now just have to work out which 2.3-2.4 inch tyre I want to buy.

Frankers
    Free Member

doof_doof – Member
    I’ve got Flows and Arches

Hey Doof

Just looking at either of these rims, any advantage to either??

doof_doof
    Free Member

Hi Frankers, on my more xc-ish bike I’ve got an Arch on the front (P2 and supercomps), and a Flow on the rear. On my bigger bike I’ve got Flows front and rear (laced with Comps). The Arch certainly has more side to side flex, so not sure if I’d want it on the rear. If I only had one set of wheels I’d go for Flows.
    I can’t say the wider flows make tyres more volumous, my RR’s look the same on each rim.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stans rims and tubless tyres’ is closed to new replies.