Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stans rim tape alternatives?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

£15 a roll is kind of steep for what looks like some very basic re-badged tape. Can you get it under a different name? Superstar are sold out of 25mm width and always have been.

Lots of people seem to recommend Gorilla tape. I tried it, but after a few months it started leaking – it seemed that the liquid sealant had dissolved the sticky stuff so it was loosening off.

Cheers

poah
    Free Member

gorilla tape from B&Q or homebase for £2.99

benpinnick

Tesa 4289 is the tape. Ebay around £10 for a 66m roll.

7600e
    Free Member

Did you wrap it tight around the rim and make it go over it’s self? It sticks well to its self.

ichabod
    Free Member

Thanks benpinnick, thought it should be on ebay!

With the Gorilla tape, I gave it a full wrap plus about 8 inches overlap. Didn’t want to double wrap it as I thought it might make tyres hard to mount. It sealed up fine for a while but slowly started to leak. I think the leak was from the overlapping section – i.e it stuck to the rim but not so well to itself strangely.

Northwind

Clear gorilla’s supposed to be better than the black stuff, which does work really well but then goes manky.

dustytrails
    akira

Im using wtb stuff, seems to work. Not very exciting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gorilla make a clear repair tape (for ipad screens, car light lenses, etc) which I’d imagine is better for tubeless (being waterproof, and non porous). I found normal gorilla tape no better than ducktape (worked but soaked through eventually).

For MTB rims I just use plain old electrical tape, it’s thinner than stans so needs 2-3 layers but works perfectly. Added bonus, if the tim/tyre is too baggy you just keep going with the layers until it’s built up, it’s light enough not to worry about.

warns74
    Free Member

Specialized rim tape £3 a roll (23 or 25mm)

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve used lots of different types, no idea how much it costs (as it was free with my wheels) but the DT Swiss tubeless tape is amazing, and by a long way the best I’ve used.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for the 66m of Tesa. I’ve done many wheels off a single roll so far..

STATO
    Free Member

benpinnick – Member

Tesa 4289 is the tape. Ebay around £10 for a 66m roll.

I got some of that, its cheap but im still disappointed by it. Doesn’t seem as sticky or flexible as Stans stuff Id bought just before, so on deep rims you get bubbles and creases. Ive taken to using 2 wraps which helps but I still occasionally had problems with it lifting or folding when removing a stubborn tyre. The Tesa is the same as Superstar stuff though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Any tips for 30mm tape?

Silverfish don’t have the wider Easton kit in stock at the mo so am thinking that for my ARC 30’s I can use a thinner tape and go round twice to ensure a good coverage.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Silverfish don’t have the wider Easton kit in stock at the mo so am thinking that for my ARC 30’s I can use a thinner tape and go round twice to ensure a good coverage

Just go round once to cover the spoke holes.
    Its all I did on my 50mm DB-X-50 rim:

I guess it depends on the spoke offset though.

Tyre seals to the rim, not the tape. No problems so far.

Northwind

Yup, no actual need, or benefit from covering the whole rim, the tape’s just sealing the holes. What I’ve found is, if your tape isn’t going to go right to the edge, it’s better to go narrow than it is to go nearly the full length- it’s kind of hard to explain but narrow tape that’s all down in the well in tehmiddle of the rim, is safe from the tyre. But tape that goes right to the edge can be pushed off when you change tyres. And that’s much more likely to happen if the tape goes onto the raised edge, but not all the way to the bead, because the tyre will get pushed into it under tension when you remove tyres.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

What Northwind said. I’ve twice had to replace my Gorilla tape on my Hope Enduro’s due to catching tyres and/or levers on the tape. Swapped to electrical tape this time by way of experiment (though not expecting to change tyres now until Autumn, earliest).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stans rim tape alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.