Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Stans rim decals should be removed. Yay or nay?
  • Houns

For me it’s a big yay. As soon as possible.

What about you?

thepurist

Nope – black frame with red detailing on it, so Stans logo fits perfick like.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yay, they really need to employ a better graphic designer.

Looks like something I could knock up myself.

Leku
    Free Member

Yes.

Then replaced with colour matched ones from Silk. Yeti turquoise in my case.

http://www.slikgraphics.com/

[/url]
    L1010282 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

njee20
    Free Member

Nay, don’t really like rims without decals.

stevied
    Free Member

Yay from me. Just done my bike and it looks much neater without.

Northwind

The old ones were nicer, new ones are fugly.

jekkyl

but how will all the random snobby bikers you meet be able to identify how much you’ve spent on rims?

nedrapier

Yes. The 2 bikes I’ve got them on don’t have decals, just headtube badges, so they had to go.

If I had a trek or something that was decalled and logo’d to the hilt, I’d leave ’em on.

njee20
    Free Member

but how will all the random snobby bikers you meet be able to identify how much you’ve spent on rims?

That’s not really a relevant discussion for Stan’s, that’s an Enve discussion 😉

Houns

Approx. £20 for new rim decals?!

No thanks

faustus

All stickers on bikes should be removed if possible. Particularly wheels, which generally look awful. Particularly ones that cover the whole rim with dumb, pointless words. As suggested, they’re generally there to shout about how much you spent on wheels.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can see they are made of metal, so will instantly be regarded as living in poverty regardless of brand.

chopchop
    Free Member

3 sets, all de-stickered, looks much neater IMHO.

bigjim

debadge all the way!

woodsman
    Free Member

yay – gay

barffy
    Free Member

Yep. Took mine off straight away! Only cool looking decals on wheels are the Easton ones!

sandwicheater

Nay at present but I’ve the older design FLOW rims which aren’t in your face.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Always. Anyone who says otherwise is a clueless buffoon aesthetically challenged.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Enve is the only one should be allowed to have decals.. All peasant wheelset should be debadge 😛

weeksy

Until this thread I can’t say I’ve given wheel decals a seconds thought

chiefgrooveguru

Removing decals seems like wasting time which could otherwise be spent riding your bike…

stevied
    Free Member

Removing decals seems like wasting time which could otherwise be spent riding your bike…

Luckily I was doing mine at work so no lost riding time for me

mrblobby
    Free Member

Enve is the only one should be allowed to have decals.. All peasant wheelset should be debadge

I’d debadge them as I wouldn’t want anyone knowing I’d spent that much on wheels!

Can’t be bothered to debadge my plebby Stans though.

DT78
    Free Member

Take stans stickers off put enve stickers on?

daveh
    Free Member

Just destickered yesterday! Reasons 3 fold: the recent thread with before/after piccies, the Stan stickers on the rear looked tatty after I rode home with a flat, I’ve DT rims up front so mismatchtastic. The Stans came straight off, very cleanly, the DTs left a very sticky residue which was a swine!

mrblobby
    Free Member

the DTs left a very sticky residue which was a swine!

Mini off topic rant… purchased a bin from John Lewis the other day which had a massive sticker on it. Getting the bugger off involved about half an hour of steaming it with a kettle, then a load of white spirits to finish the job. Why do they use a glue in such applications that makes it such a PITA?!

The Stans ones do look like they’d come off pretty easily though, I’ve a couple of rims where the decals are peeling at the edges.

cardo

Recently de-stickered my flows on the 5 and they look loads better IMO…

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Nay, mainly because I generally like the aesthetics of the products I buy, and I’m not a murdered out/stealth fan.

Tyre logos seem to have got bigger though which can clash quite badly with rim decals. I particularly dislike Maxxis who don’t seem to be capable of evenly spacing their logos or maintaining a standard font size between different tyre sizes or models.

oxym0r0n

As above ^ colour matched slik ones on my Solaris and el Mar (blue FWIW)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh interesting, lots of Yays…

Might do mine on my Niner…

Interesting…… It could work. Blacked out “Cosmics” on my roadies look uber cool, could work on the Niner..

Will investigate more..

Pic’s anyone, if thats a boring ask just ignore me.

nicko74

No, ’cause (at least on the Crest), the rim joins aren’t welded but pinned. So the label is actually structural.

Houns

Mine before and after (would look even better if were disc specific rims)

nedrapier

Tyre logos seem to have got bigger though which can clash quite badly with rim decals.

Good point. I was taking mine off anyway, but Conti orange and Stans red don’t go well together.

Then njee said you can get the tyre logos off too with IPA (the stronger, less tasty one) and a rag. I took a couple of square inches down to the white substrate and realised there wsa no way I had the inclination to finish the job on that one, let alone the other 7.

Looks terrible now. Pfff.

Houns

I just used a Stanley blade then a squirt of wd40 and a rag to get any left over stickiness off

vdubber67
    Free Member

No one will notice your rims when you ride a cx bike with a camelbak on 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…in Houns case, I’d have left them on…if only to distract people’s attention from the, frankly, offensive rise of the stem & bar combo.

Houns

Bullies 😥

fathomer

nicko74 – Member
    No, ’cause (at least on the Crest), the rim joins aren’t welded but pinned. So the label is actually structural.

A decal, structural? Not so sure I believe that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Stans rim decals should be removed. Yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.