• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • stans rim and non ust tyre, going slowly flat…. help?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

i am new to tubeless, so i just took the wheels to my lbs and they stuck the fluid in and used their compressor.

rims are olympic ztr and tyres are racing ralph non ust.

front is fine but rear slowly deflates, after about a day, i can pump it up (using a hand pump) and its ok for one ride, next day flat.

could i stick some more fluid in and reinflate with the hand pump, or do i need to take the tyre off, strip out the fluid residue and begin again and hope it works?

any ideas?

neninja
    Free Member

How long has this gone on for?

Mine did that for a few days (also running Olympic rims with Schwalbe tyres) but after that sorted themselves out and now maintain pressures between rides.

timdrayton
    Free Member

about a month?

seems to be getting worse not better

br
    Free Member

Don't take out the current fluid, you'll never get the tyre to seal if you've ridden it and its 'holey'.

Ask them how much fluid they put in as non-UST tyres often 'soak-up' the latex – maybe add another 50ml.

Rip
    Free Member

Did they put in a rim strip or yellow tape?

When I've had slow leaks like this it's always been the valve not seated in the rim properly.

Put it in the bath and see where it's leaking.

timdrayton
    Free Member

just done the sink test

the tyre has about 5 v small holes, unseated the tyre and the latex seems to have dried up.

i put another 50ml in then realised my little hand pump wont reinflate it so i'll take it down the garage in the morning.

how much fluid should i put in a 2.1 racing ralph anyone know?

there isnt a rim strip in it? is this a problem?

timdrayton
    Free Member

btw

if you want to sort this out yourself do you need a mini compressor (and if so any recomendations)

or can you use a track pump, if so whats the cheapest one that works?

neninja
    Free Member

I can get tyres up with a track pump with the same rim and yellow tape as long as the tyre has been seated overnight with a tube.

As your tyre has been inflated already a track pump should be sufficient.

I used 2 scoops of fluid in my Schwalbe 2.0 tyres

timdrayton
    Free Member

Cheers anyone recomend a track pump that is high enough volume but doesn't cost too much compressors seem to start at £99….

Bloody missed a ride this morning, I'd like to be able to sort this out meself without having to go to the lbs….

sv

I normally add 80ml to a new tyre and it has always worked for me.

ntreid
    Free Member

Tim, I just use a standard Blackburn trackpump, about £20-25 several years back.

br
    Free Member

You need the yellow tape at a minimum, and a compressor is recommended (in the long run it will pay for itself)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘stans rim and non ust tyre, going slowly flat…. help?’ is closed to new replies.