Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • stans podium – too fragile/flexy to be worth the weight saving
  • tomhughes
    Free Member

Just looking at rims for my build and its a toss up between stans podiums/crests and olympics.
    The olympics only because I have found them on sale for half off, I believe they come in about 10-20g heavier than the crests. The podiums are about 290g a rim so 50g lighter than the crests.
    I don’t mean to get all weight weenie but have build up road bikes with superlight/stiff wheels (zipp 303/202) and although its only a few hundred grams at the end of the day it seems to make a big difference.
    I weigh in at 67kg so lightish, they would be used for XC racing ONLY, I have another set for trail centre bashing.
    I just don’t want to have any obvious flex, or be paranoid everytime I go over a bump and land that the bloody things are going to crumple!

They are going to be built with DT revs and either hopes or if my budget will stretch some A2Z/DT swiss/american classic hubs.
    So with the podiums I could be looking at at ~1300-1400g wheelset.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tomhughes – Member

although its only a few hundred grams at the end of the day it seems to make a big difference.

At the risk of starting FLAME-A-GEDDON VIII with the usual suspects, tests and science indicate that the difference is more in the head than on the stop watch.

I’d go for 50% off Olympics – where are they?

njee20
    Free Member

I have Podiums on A2Zs with Revolutions, never had any problems with stiffness, in fact I preferred them to the Pro 2/Crest wheels I used to use ‘normally’. Have done Afan on the Podiums and they’re perfect. Slight dent in the rear, but don’t seem any more fragile than any other rim to be honest!

Was thinking of selling the wheels though, can’t really justify having 2 nice sets (240s on Alpines being the others!) if that’s of any interest?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhughes
    Free Member

Njee you have mail.

Al, you are probably right but as half of the fun of this sport is feeling fast I like to think the in the head bit is quite important.

They are from Triton cycles I think!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh yes the psychological effect is worthwhile! Just being realistic. Cheers, I need a spare.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘stans podium – too fragile/flexy to be worth the weight saving’ is closed to new replies.