Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Stan's or Joe's sealant- are they pretty much the same?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Joe’s is a lot cheaper- not far off half price. So is it still as good? Will it go solid in the bottle if not used quick enough? I don’t get through it that quickly so it probably needs to be able to last a few years…

mark d
    Free Member

All I can say is I’ve used Stans for years and I rely on it.
    Has never solidified in the bottle but does in the tyres after prolonged hot weather ( which has happened once).
    I have now started using the Stans Race version which is supposed to be even better, ( although even more costly).

jonnyboi

Pretty much all of them last between 2-6 months when in the tyres, don’t forget the glitter.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fair enough, time to give Joe’s a try 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Not used Joes for years, but used to find it not as good – bit too runny.

Let us know how it goes though.

ajantom

Have a look on Planet X/On-one. They have a couple of varieties of sealant for about £8-10 a litre.
    I’ve used a couple of them over the last 2 years (just cracked open the second lot) and had no problems setting up loads of tyres tubeless.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I bought the blue on one stuff, horridly thick, it settles in one spot in the tyre and doesn’t budge. Had to thin it around 50:50 with orange sealant to make it usable

ajantom

The stuff I bought was NRG branded. Different bottles each time, but the stuff looked identical. Was pretty runny and white, so not the same stuff you had.

honourablegeorge

Stick with Stan’s I’d say. Definitely don’t bother with the Nutrak one, it’s rubbish.

daviek

Looking to give tubeless a go soon and read somewhere that the Effetto stuff was pretty good.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looking to give tubeless a go soon and read somewhere that the Effetto stuff was pretty good.

I heard that too, it’s not as cheap though..

shermer75
    Free Member

So I’ve been using Joe’s for about 8 months, it does seem to work but I would say not quite as well- there has been a couple of times when a nice fine spray has been happily decorating my sofa when I reckon Stan’s would have sealed it off straight away. It does seal but seems to need a touch more encouragement (ie sloshing around).

I’ve gone through a litre bottle already, so it’s either not as efficient or I like it so much that I’m drinking it in my sleep.

augustuswindsock

Dunno about Joe’s, but juice lubes brand is useless – avoid!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

The only alternative to stans that I have heard consistently good reports about is the orange seal stuff.

drewd

I am using the Joes Eco Sealant that came in a tubeless conversion kit. It’s been in the tyres for around 3 months and can still be heard sloshing about. I’ve not had a chance to test it with punctures but it sealed the tyre after a quick ride around.

I’ve not used any other sealant so can’t compare but no complaints so far.

vincienup
    Free Member

Not similar in the slightest. Joes Eco is ammonia free for starters – ammonia is often added to latex solutions to keep them runny but it’s also this part that’s behind the persistent stories of rim and tyre casing damage.

I recently came across a set of old wheels I’d set up with Joes a few years ago and hadn’t touched in a year – and still had air in them. Tyres were elderly Dampf Snakeskins.

I remember it taking longer to seal while setting up than Stans, but other than that I had no real world issues. I was confused about why I’d stopped using the product to be honest, and plan to go back to it in future.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Orange seal in fatties that head out in negative 10 and below. Stans Race for anything else for me. I know S.Race is more expensive but it really does plug some massive holes and lets you keep rolling (even if the snot ball inside the tyre may be as big as a golf ball).

eulach

I took the stans out of my rear tyre, stored it in a jam jar whilst I ran the winter tyre and reused it the following summer. I swapped out the front wheel whole – wheel, tyre, brake disc etc. In the summer the stan’s was still sloshing around and full of air, refit and a quick blast with the pump – super.

devash
    Free Member

Stans all the way for me, never let me down ever so I’d be wary of changing.

Has anyone tried the new Uberbike sealant? I’d be interested to know out of curiosity.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m starting to have second thoughts about Joe’s. I’ve just built up two new wheels and I’m having a ton of trouble getting the tyres to stay inflated. I’m thinking it may be because I’m near the end of the bottle, so I may have already used up the little gritty particles..

vincienup
    Free Member

If it is the particles, that could happen to any sealant and really is more about bottle shaking than the product.

Quick fix would be glitter addition.

I usually find unexpected failures to seal and stay up are tape issues I’d missed though. Can you see anything around the spokes or valve?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve used Joe’s for about 5 years or so and never had an issue with the product. The only time I’ve got in trouble has been holes in sidewalls (x2) and lack of topping up, which gave a slow, steady leak on a bikepacking trip.

Neither of which were Joe’s fault!

I’ve heard positive things about a tractor sealant that works out about £8 a litre, but you have to thin it 50/50 with water to make it useable…..this gives you 2 litres for £8 ish. Can’t remember the name now though…I’m old

downhilldave

Have used Joe´s, Stan´s. You don´t get the massive snot ball with with Joe´s and it lasts better here in southern Spain.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

IME joes is only any good with either a full UST set up or at the very least, heavy duty tubeless ready tyres and tubeless ready rims.

Anything you need to add conversion strips to, or lightweight/racey tyres (anything under around 550 grams) you’d be better off just starting off with stans rather than risking a weekend of cursing and STILL not ending up with a tubeless set up.

nickfrog
    Free Member

IME joes is only any good with either a full UST set up or at the very least, heavy duty tubeless ready tyres and tubeless ready rims.

For balance, my experience doesn’t confirm that. Joes has been great on all setups, including non dedicated tyres/rims or light ones.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just my experience of working in a shop that only stocked joes. (No stans importer back then, all my kit came from germany or the UK).

It’d be a half day to convert a pair at work. Half an hour at home. With no compressor!

drewd

My tyres are tubeless compatible but my rims aren’t tubeless ready. They’re old Mavic EN321s which apparently don’t always play nicely tubeless but the Joes rim strips and eco sealant have been ok for me for a few months now.

I did need compressed air to get them to seat but other than that it was fairly straightforward. Perhaps the Geax TNT tyres helped?

shermer75
    Free Member

Anything you need to add conversion strips to, or lightweight/racey tyres (anything under around 550 grams) you’d be better off just starting off with stans rather than risking a weekend of cursing and STILL not ending up with a tubeless set up.

Schwalbe Marathon Racers (so not Tubeless Ready/Easy and medium lightweight). They are staying up now, so the stuff has worked, but it took a while! Thanks for the help and suggestions! 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I can’t tell the difference between Stan’s and Joe’s.

But I’ve used plenty of other proprietary sealant brands (Juice, Fenwicks etc) and they’re varying degrees of not quite as good as Stan’s or Joe’s.

riklegge

I’m using Joe’s at the moment as it was cheaper. Currently in a 2.5 x 27.5 setup and also my cx 32mm setup. I perhaps needed a bit more sealant than with Stans, but otherwise has been fine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Stan's or Joe's sealant- are they pretty much the same?’ is closed to new replies.