Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stans not working?
  • keithd
    Free Member

Set up my WTB wheels and tyres to run tubeless last week but the front appears to be leaking. There was a thorn in the tyre when I took the tube out and I think that is where the leak is-will do a water test.
    Tried some more Stans yesterday but it has lost some pressure today. As its the first time I have seen Stans fluid what should it look like? When it comes out of the bottle it has the consistancy of milk, I expected it to be thicker.
    Would riding it help to seal? Not had chance yet.
    Cheers

kayak23

Yes, it’s like milk. Perhaps you need to try to add a bit more than you first did, particularly if it’s a high volume tyre.
    Wang it in, inflate and slosh about all over the shop. Turn it horizontal and slosh, then the other way and slosh. Riding will help.

jekkyl

I’ve found generally a new will lose pressure a little the first time you tubeless it, just add more sealant and check the pressure before you ride until it stops it.

br
    Free Member

There was a thorn in the tyre when I took the tube out

Patch the inside of the tyre.

tbh It’s often hard to tubeless old tyres, especially if they’ve been run tubed and you’ve thorns around you.

MartynS

Did you shake the stans bottle well?
    it does say to give it a good mix!
    Some tyres just don’t seem to seal well. I’ve got some new(ish) on one smorgasboards tyres on my HT. The rear one loses pressure, the front doesn’t.. Just keep on top of it. You’ll proberbly need to add some more fluid really soon.

Northwind

Losing pressure overnight, or during a ride? I find quite often it won’t seal perfectly til its had a couple of rides so reinflating after a few days is quite normal (some lightweight or raggedy tyres will never seal perfectly, but if it stays within a psi or so for 5 hours that’s all you need really)

Nothing’s better at sealing tyres than riding, btw. You can do the slosh but riding round the block is better ime, not to mention more fun. Also I once punched myself right in the mouth doing the stans slosh 😆

keithd
    Free Member

Cheers all. Tyres are fairly new as on a new bike from November and that was the only puncture I have had. Will give it a whirl this weekend.

damascus
    Free Member

When you inflated the tyre did it ping and all the bead set? Cast your eye around the tyre to make sure it’s on correctly.

I usually pump the tyres up til they ping then deflate to the right pressure.

Also as above, shake well

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stans not working?’ is closed to new replies.