Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stan's No Tubes – any advice?
  • Elspaniel
    Free Member

For some reason am leaning towards trying Stan’s…any advice, how people have found using the kits and then the ride/handling etc would be good.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Best thing since SPD’s, go for it and never look back.

Was on a night ride last night talking about Stan’s and this mongboard, anyone who can’t fit the kit properly or who says they are crap have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER.

Several of my mates have em, on 355’s or Olympics, race at national level and do well and have had no issues with them. Running standard tyres from Schwalbe with no rim strip.

FANTASTIC !! BUY THEM NOW !! 😛

njee20
    Free Member

Was on a night ride last night talking about Stan’s and this mongboard, anyone who can’t fit the kit properly or who says they are crap have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER.

I don’t know what this means.

It’s well worth doing though, choose your tyres carefully, Schwalbe work very well, particularly as they’ve now got a new ‘tubeless ready’ bead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The system is very dependent on the tyres and rims you’re using. I’ve been very lucky because I’ve most of the time my set up is a Maxxis High Roller or Minnion on a Stans Flow or Arch rim and these combinations work very well indeed.
    I’ve also used the system less successfully with Mavic 823 and 721 rims and other tyre combinations. Maxxis tyres on these rims seem to still work fine, whereas the behemoth Intense FRO 4-ply DH tyres were almost impossible to set up.
    One of the bits of advice is that you really need to liberally daub neat (not dilute as per instructions) washing up liquid around the bead/rim interface prior to trying to inflate them. I use an old paint brush and just paint it on. You can get them inflated without, but invariably it doesn’t work.
    It’s the washing up liquid that helps create the initial seal, not the latex.
    With enough washing up liquid, and a tyre with a steel bead, it’s possible to inflate them without resorting to a compressor or CO2 canister.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

“Mongboard” is, I think, the best name for STW I’ve ever heard.

Olympics and Flows here. Schwalbe tyres just go up with a trackpump. I use Bontrager rather than Stan’s kits as they’re cheaper and seem to seat easier.

TooTall
    Free Member

Stans Flow rims here. Put the tape on properly (watch the video), put a tube in, inflate, leave overnight, take tube out, put valve in, put goop in, re-inflate with track pump.

Works so easily.

Andituk
    Free Member

How well do Rubber Queens work with non ust rims?

bigdonx
    Free Member

Taking time to get it set up well in the first place is critical – otherwise it will p1ss you off to the point where you will become a tubele-sceptic.
    You will need lots of Fairy liquid, and lots of patience (at least IME with non-tubeless ready tires and rims)

uplink
    Free Member

I used to use Fairy Liquid & then tried spray silicone lube with I thought was better & less messy
    I was recently given a couple of cans of BibUp from the Michelin techs at a race meeting, very slippy stuff indeed

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive used mavic rims with rim strips and also stans arch rims without rim strips. Its the best thing I ever did to my bike, fantastic. I’ve found dealing with the proper stans rims easier than the rim strip thing. The arch is so good, builds to a 1700g wheelset but still very strong. All the tips above are good but the best one is to get a small compressor, ive never needed any washing up liquid or other faff since I had one.

Anyone tried the second generation stans rims (cresta or podium I think). I hear they seal even better and you don’t even need sealant for some tyres

uplink
    Free Member

ive never needed any washing up liquid or other faff since I had one.

It’s wise to use it all the same, as with many things a dry interface is not the best approach

rudedog
    Free Member

nosedive – Member
    Ive used mavic rims with rim strips and also stans arch rims without rim strips. Its the best thing I ever did to my bike, fantastic. I’ve found dealing with the proper stans rims easier than the rim strip thing. The arch is so good, builds to a 1700g wheelset but still very strong. All the tips above are good but the best one is to get a small compressor, ive never needed any washing up liquid or other faff since I had one.

Anyone tried the second generation stans rims (cresta or podium I think). I hear they seal even better and you don’t even need sealant for some tyres

should be interesting when you get a puncture without any sealant then.

poppa
    Free Member

What they all said.

Bear in mind that if your rims are wide you may need some padding under the rim strip for the optimum fit (e.g. rim tape or foam tape), whilst if they are narrow you will need as little material as possible under the rim strip and soapy water to fit. There is more info on the stans site under ‘compatible rims’.

Plus this guide:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/stans-no-tubes-guide.htm

Elspaniel
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’ll try and be patient and give it a go. 👿

nosedive
    Free Member

“should be interesting when you get a puncture without any sealant then”

I think you are still allowed to put some in if you want to

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stan's No Tubes – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.