Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stans mk3 rims – Crest/Arch
  • andyl
    Free Member

To replace my SS carbon AM rims that are 420g (390g quoted) so that looks like Arch Mk3 territory but wondering if a new Crest would be strong enough? I am 90kg and this is for my “fun” long travel 26″ bike that I will probably let my nephew ride.

I do have some Arch EX rims I was planning to keep for when he rides the bike instead of risking my carbon rims (he’s a beginner and seems to destroy all he touches completely unintentionally!)

shortyj15

I doubt crests will be strong enough. I would go with arches

cp

I’d stick with Arch EX.

andyl
    Free Member

coming to that conclusion myself. Anyone comment on how stiff they feel?

Was looking forward to having carbon rims on the bike but spotted some defects I am not happy with and I can’t justify another set of LB rims for this bike.

IA

I’m 90kg and run 29er arch mk3.

Plenty stiff, sure 26s will be fine. More of a function of the wheel build quality than the rim.

I’d not touch crests with someone elses, even on my XC bike I’ve got an arch out back.

dday

Crests will be strong enough, but +1 for Arch Ex, or Flow. I have a 29er Flow, and they are noticeably stiffer, not to mention that a wider rim has plenty of advantages.

madhouse

Am having a similar dilemma, although of the Arch/Flow variety. I was thinking that with kit I’d be close to the stated 104kg limit of the Arch so didn’t know whether to opt for a Flow And have the safety of the higher limit?

According to Stans, my tyre choice would put me in the Arch camp – how much difference does 3mm of internal rim width make anyway?

andyl
    Free Member

so the flow is up to 2.8″ and the arch 2.5″?

Funny how a 17mm internal rim used to be quoted as good for 2.3″. They actually weren’t really I guess.

Looks like the Arch for me. Just noticed bike24 have the black sapim lasers cheaper than the d0light so might go with those. That is what is fitted to the SS AM wheels.

How do the ERDs match up in real life with stans?

nytmadn
    Free Member

I recently built up a set of Arch MK3s and the ERDs were spot on, perfectly nice to build up, no worries so far.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had some crests on hope hubs and whilst I didn’t have a problem they felt like spaghetti. They took a good beating on my anthem over a couple of years and they remained true. The main problem and the reason I sold them was I lacked any confidence in them and expected one to collapse at any point.
    Make of that what you will but I went back to my Mavic 819’s which are heavier but much stronger and confidence inspiring.

bwakel
    Free Member

Here’s a bizarre thing, my Cannondale F29 carbon hardtail which weighs 21lb came with Arch EX rims and my Yeti SB75 alloy full-susser came with Crest rims!

The Crests last about half a ride before they start creaking and tinging from loose spokes and they wobble all over the place. The Arches built up with C-Xray spokes aren’t great even on XC trails and I find myself having to tension the spokes regularly. Heavier spokes would probably help but I’d rather have a set of Mavics.

madhouse

I emailed Stans and just got this back:

When in doubt, go with the rim with the higher weight limit. The minimum recommendation for tire width on the Flow MK3 is 2.4″ for optimal performance, but a slightly narrower tire than this should not be a problem.

Think I’ll go with flows for piece of mind that they’ll take a beating and cope if I have a few too many pies.

Northwind

From the sounds of it, neither’s really the right tool for the job? I’d be going frequency or 471 or something tough like that

GolfChick
    Free Member

Crests should be fine, but I’ve seen a crest explode that also should of been fine…. the bang was quite loud!

andyl
    Free Member

NW: why’s that? I know Stan’s seem a cop out but they are decent rims and easy to get.

GC: just going to FB you and ask what is on your stanton

Northwind

They’re very good rims, but the Crest is an XC rim and not really suited to a long travel bike, and the Arch’s pretty marginal even without a maniac nephew. The Flow would be a good option too, I just reckon the DT and WTB options are better at this job.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Had crest rims in Dr Swiss hubs. Had to be trued alot. Now have arch on kings. Not had to touch in 1 year

doubledunter
    Free Member

90kg here 😳 ,Mk3’s may be stronger but I smashed my ArchEX rear after a few months and I wouldnt consider myself particularly aggressive, decided to run a flow on the rear with no problems.

andyl
    Free Member

Took at a look at the WTB and DT…and decided to go for Arch Mk3.

My Arch EX’s have been fine but I wanted something wider so these fit the bill.

If anyone is looking for Stans Mk3’s then Cycle Republic is currently cheapest by a long way and 10% off for new customers if you register first.

nosedive
    Free Member

Im 80kg of talentless enthusiastic rider of a bike with a 180mm fork and my arch ex rims are still trueish and mainly undinted after a year (and that is on a questionable home wheel build as well). I used those middle weight dt spokes (competition maybe?)

Edit: that year of riding inlcuded probably 7 enduro races as well so the rims have been given some hammer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stans mk3 rims – Crest/Arch’ is closed to new replies.