Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stan's latex in a tube?
  • iamtheresurrection

Has anybody’s tried putting Stans into a tube, as an alternative to converting to tubeless?

I run tubeless on all my bikes mostly because the unbelievable amount of Hawthorne bushes on my local tracks. The only bike I don’t is the SSCX bike, and I’m fed up with punctures. Before I change the rims to 819s and buy some proper tubeless tyres I’m tempted to just remove the cores on the tubes and syringe some Stans in.

I could just try it, but I’m tight and don’t want to waste the latex. Has anybody tried it?

oliverracing

Yep, my mums bikes rear rim is fubared so I stuck a tube in with about 120ml of stans as a stopgap measure, been going strong for 2 years now…

EDIT: I should note, around oxfordshire a she was getting a puncture most rides with just a tube in it so definitely an improvement

iamtheresurrection

Thanks for the reply, I’ll give it a go.

I converted to Road tubeless five or six years ago with the first DA tubeless wheels and Hutchinson tyres. Had a proper moment towards the end of a descent where a bead popped off: still don’t know why it happened, or how I didn’t come off.

Back on normal tyres and tubes on the road as a result, and back to Hawthorne punctures on the country lanes. Don’t know why I’ve never thought about putting some latex in those tubes either…

Davesport

Every bike I have in regular use has Stans in the tubes. I’m not a tubeless adopter and generally don’t go public with this information as these days its almost as bad as admitting to wearing women’s clothes 😀

Stans in the tubes works great. No punctures worth of note as they usually just seal up. The downside is that if you have to remove the tube or tyre it’s like an inside out hedgehog with all the old thorns sticking through the tyre. This necessitates that they’re all removed before fitting a new tube.

D.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I often wonder if sealant in a tube would dry out slower than in a full tubeless set-up. Oliver, is the 2 year old sealant in your mums bike still fluid?

iamtheresurrection

Perfect, thanks Davesport – exactly what I wanted to hear (not the cross-dressing bit, maybe you should have kept that admission off the thread) 🙂

UH: have wondered the very same as I have been mulling this over. I imagine it must stay fluid longer.

jonnyboi

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/cycling-tech/how-to-puncture-proof-your-tyres

If you can get past the mansplaining and eyebrow acrobatics they test how well it works

midlifecrashes

Done it with Slime rather than Stan’s for years, brilliant for back wheels of townie with hub gear and chain case, and taking the wheel off is a pain, haven’t had to in 3 years now. (jinxed now?)

iamtheresurrection

I’ve gone from feeling pleased others have done it with success, to feeling really ****** off that I’ve never thought about doing it before.

It’s hardly a giant leap of the imagination, and I’ve put up with punctures on the CX bike and commuter for years no for good reason at all!

bigblackshed

I ran Slime tubes on the commuter for years. The worked very well but were as heavy as a very heavy thing. It was a revelation going back to normal tubes when I recommissioning the bike for CX duties, the rotating mass of heavy tyres and tubes was surprising.

As Davesport says clearing out the multitude of thorns, glass, and other debris to put a fresh tube in was painful.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Road tyres and kids bike tyres are full of it! 50ml syringe attached to tube that goes over presta valve and squirt it in!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Filled my lads tubed gokart tyres with Stans early last year as he was always getting punctures and touch wood he’s not had one since.

Think I’d better top them up after saying that.

midlifecrashes

Bigblackshed, the Slime stuff is available in bottles to put into regular (lighter) tubes.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Obviously an outlier judging by the above, my experience is that when properly pointy things embed themselves in a tyre then the movement between tyre and tube is enough for the embedded pointy bit to keep the hole open which leads to your sealant migrating into the tube-tyre zone and the air in the tube returns to atmospheric pressure.

lowey

Yep… on my commuter. A Croix de Fer. Was sick on punctures so put in two tubed with removable cores, injected stans and hey presto… not had a puncture since.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above I out Stans fluid in the inner tubes on my commuter. Works a treat.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stan's latex in a tube?’ is closed to new replies.