Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stan's Grail rims – tyre width?
  • cinnamon_girl

Does anyone know the maximum size tyre width that the Grail will take?

Thanks. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Should have said that’s both on road and off road.

Thanks. 🙂

stevehipwell
    Free Member

<bump/>

nedrapier

What are you looking to use them for? Would have thought frame clearance would be the first limiting factor. Unless you’re looking to use them as a lightwieght 29er set?

I’ve had 2.1 Thunder Burts on my Alpha 340 (17mm internal width). It worked well.

The grail is wider, but still able to take road pressures.

Just checked – 21mm internal, same as Crest, so whatever you like short of Knards. Saying that, some have done just that and got on fine.

STATO
    Free Member

Anyone know any online retailers listing these yet?

JRA do but they are ripping the p price wise, £81 ‘reduced from £90’ despite the importer listing rrp as £75.

cinnamon_girl

STATO – my lbs have told me £75 and they’ll be getting them in stock in around 2 weeks.

nedrapier – primarily road but may venture off road. Frame takes up to 50mm tyres. I can’t find anything that definitely states what size they’ll take.

nedrapier

Probably because it’s not a definitive thing. It’s just about the ratio between internal rim width and tyre width.

There might be an “ideal” range, but there’s a pretty wide tail of “works perfectly fine” either side of “ideal”

Lots of people out there have got on perfectly fine with a bigger ratio than 50mm on grails (50:21)

just a couple of eg.s (outside my own “perfectly fine” 48:14 and 52:17)

2.1 SB8s on open pro’s (52:14 terrahawk 24hr solo, IIRC)

Knard on Flow (75:25) Mr Stooge – he’s a bike designer, quite a good one, by all accounts, so has a pretty good idea of what rides well and what doesn’t. And he likes chucking his bike around, too.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stan's Grail rims – tyre width?’ is closed to new replies.