Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stans Grail or Halo Vapour
  • cframe
    Free Member

Morning all,

I’m finally getting around to finishing off the build of a new Shand Stooshie that I got months ago and it’s now time to play spec the wheel set!

I’m planning on running 32H Hope Pro 4 hubs front and rear and originally I’d been thinking Stans Grail rims but now I’m pondering the Halo Vapour rims as an option as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations between the Grails and Vapours?

Cheers,
    c.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Grail’s on my CX bike, they’re good for that with CX tyres set up tubeless.

What size tyres are you planning on running?

nixie

I’v recently built a vapour 35 650b rim up. Was nice to build and rides fine, stealth version looks too. Tubeless was easy with gorilla tape. Price is also great :). No experience of the Stan’s rim.

ontor
    Free Member

Trails on my computer too. Great so far.

cframe
    Free Member

@steve_b77 I’ve got some 40c Nano’s to go on for ‘off road’ times but for road duty it’ll probably be some 28c or 30c Gatorksins.

I’ve never tried tubeless yet so am a wee bit wary of it…

STATO
    Free Member

I run a vapour on a dynamo hub and fitted a 40c Nano to run it on my CX bike, fit ok but dont think id want to go much narrower. I think the Vapour would be too wide for 28c road tyres. Its a 29er rim really, not a CX rim like the Grail.

cframe
    Free Member

@STATO ahh ok, I hadn’t seen the widths of the Vapour when I was researching, I just kinda figured they’d be ok for road widths too, thanks!

ransos
    Free Member

I run Grails with 25c Schwalbe Pro Ones. I’m very happy with the setup.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It might be a bit tricky running tubes on Grail’s as they’re designed for tubeless,

ransos
    Free Member

It might be a bit tricky running tubes on Grail’s as they’re designed for tubeless,

You need to take more care fitting the tyre (making sure the bead is properly and evenly seated) but apart from that they’re fine.

shandcycles
    Free Member

They’re fine with tubes. I’d recommend the Grails. Really nice rims. You might also look at the Pacenti SL25.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stans Grail or Halo Vapour’ is closed to new replies.