Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stans flow vs?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Which other rims should I look at that are a similar weight and strength?

Thanks

wiggles
    Free Member

Ex471

benpinnick

EX511 – a little bit heavier but likely a much stronger rim. There’s plenty of good rims out there but if you want the best strength to weight to price ratio I really don’t think you could beat a high end DT rim right now. They are knocking it out of the park with the latest M/E/XM/EX rims – nothing else comes close… in my humblest of opinions of course. I should caveat that with the fact I’ve not tried a Mk3 Flow, but the Mk 2 was enough to sway me over to DT.

miranmtb
    Free Member

WTB Asym i29

reggiegasket
    Free Member

EX471

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve heard good stuff abut the dt swiss rims

Northwind

Which flow are you comparing with? The current mk3 or a previous one? The current DTs and WTBs pretty much crap on the Flow and Flow Ex, haven’t used the mk3 though.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep defo EX471 or 511, depending on what width you want. I’ve killed one EX471 but haven’t heard of anyone else killing one, and if I was still on flows I would have destroyed at least 4-5 in the same time!

rondo101
    Free Member

The new Hope rim is due out November I think.

RicB

Be inclined to consider XM481 on the front and 471 on the back tbh- gives you wider & grippy on the front and strength on the back

chrishc777
    Free Member

EX511 is same width as XM481 but strong as EX471 supposedly. I would have gone for 471 rear 511 front but the 511 wasn’t available when I built my wheels up

RickDraper
    Free Member

^ Or go EX511 30mm id front and EX471 25mm id rear.

sharkattack

Yeah those EX471’s are pretty reliable…

RicB

I hadn’t really looked at the EX511

27.5 weights:

EX511 is 535g 30mm internal
    XM481 is 490g 30mm internal
    EX471 is 470g 25mm internal
    Flow mk3 is 480g 29mm internal

My money would still go on the XM481 for the front as I’m 65Kg and don’t race enduro but at only 45g extra the 511 is a very good choice for those who do.

Kind of a moot point as I’m on 26″ wheels and the 26″ DT rims aren’t being imported 😥 So my only option is the Flow mk3

sillyoldman

RicB – the EX471 is imported in 26″ – Madison have them in stock.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep I’ve got a set of 26″ EX471 on the hardtail.

EX471 in 650b is around 500g, the 26″ is 475ish

deadkenny
    Free Member

Same issue with the lack of 26 imports and was looking at the 511.

Need replacement for knackered (and a bit crappy) old Crank Brothers Iodines on my mk2 Nomad. Was thinking of Flow mk3, but also been considering the DT. Going for DT hubs anyway as got some 350s on the hard tail and really like those. Needs to be tough for uplift day kind of stuff.

The Flows are fairly easy to get hold of in 26.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stans flow vs?’ is closed to new replies.