Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stans flow ex or mavic 521?
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking at getting some pro2 built up on either of the following rims…

Stans flow ex or mavic 521’s

both priced the same but just wnated to get some veiws on which rim would be best.

Going on a stumpy full susser and will be used for all round riding fitted with largish 2.3 tyres.

cheers

Steve

renton
    Free Member

Anyone?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Stans are toobless ready, not sure mavics are.

I’ve got ztr’s on my FS running a minion 2.35 up front as it seems fine to me.

Here’s a previous tread on the very same topic

renton
    Free Member

Doh cheers for that, I did a search but nowt came up?

mboy
    Free Member

For the same price, get the Flow’s. They’re lighter and easy(er) to run tubeless on.

The 521’s are good rims though, I run them on my bike (but I built my own wheels and 521’s were 1/2 the price of Flows to me) and have done for some time. They’re tough, reliable, give the tyre a good profile and they’re not ridiculously heavy.

eyerideit
    Free Member

No problem.

The forum search is poo, but googling always brings up a loads of STW threads.

Hope it helps 😀

thefallguy
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden the mavics but I have two sets of flows and rate them highly, they have stayed true despite my best efforts and I like the extra width that gives the tyre a slightly square profile compared to my old dt rims. And tubeless is very easy too.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get some 721s they are the best rims I have ever used. I am a proper wheel breaker and have had my Pro 2 and 721 for 4 years and they are still fine. To give my suggestion a sense of perspective I had some DT Swiss that lasted a matter of hours. Seriously I killed them on their first ride, it wasn’t anything rough just my local loop. That was an expensive ride.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just to confuse a little I’m proper impressed with the stans arch
    Have them on my enduro but only trail centre use so far and seem nice and tough

Northwind

They are both excellent. Also both right on the strong end of what a Stumpy’s likely to make use of (721s are great too but downhill rims on a Stumpy doesn’t make any sense to me)

Not being funny but what sort of all round riding is your all round riding?

I_Ache
    Free Member

721s are no more of a DH rim than 521s. OK so they are a few gramms heavier but that’s because they are using denser, stronger metal and they can be used with v brakes.

I have 321s (due to lack of money) on my BFe I dont see why you wouldn’t stick those or 721s on a stumpy. In fact I am thinking about replacing my Enduro with a Stumpy and that will be running 721s and 1×10.

renton
    Free Member

Northwind……

Everything from riding to work to trail centres and also A week a year in cyprus up the troodos!

Northwind

If I was you- no heftier than Flows but Arch Ex would probably make more sense. Can’t judge your riding really but Crests are pretty durable too but you lose a bit of safety margin.

Flow definitely a better option than a 521 though.

renton
    Free Member

Im 16 stone though if that makes a difference?

rocketman
    Free Member

Got some 521s with db spokes on 20mm XT hubs from Merlin in May 2011 they’ve been absolutely rock-solid and feel great – much more direct than a similar build I have using XM719s. There’s a moment from slow speeds when the inertia is noticeable but otherwise they’ve been proper fit-and-forget.

Wouldn’t hesitate to get another set

chris_db
    Free Member

Flows all the way and the new EX are ust ready, no need for rim tape.

Chris

thered

Chris_db do you mean no need for rubber rim tape or absolutely no tape, not even the yellow stuff?

scruff
    Free Member

Mikey, they just need some tape to seal the spoke holes. 25mm gorilla tap efrom screwfix best, packing tape Craig gave me works but peeled off after a while.

ads678

Can’t vouch for the stans, but my front wheel is a pro 2 with DT spokes on a 521 and my rear is a hope bulb, DT’s on a 321. I’m 16 stone and ride a fair bit of DH type stuff on my five. The mavics seem pretty bomb proof to. Even if they are a bit heavier than the stand. Spose it depends how much you’re bothered about weight though.

duirdh
    Free Member

some right crap typed on here, no a big surprise really, ’tis tinternet afterall 🙄

Why would DH rims not make sense on a 6″ travel bike? What about a hardtail?
    721s are both stiffer and stronger than 521s, and both are stiffer than Flows
    weirdly everyone seems to need bolt thru wheels these days but don’t seem to care about rim stiffness!

Fashion?

hmmm… 😕

chiefgrooveguru

some right crap typed on here, no a big surprise really, ’tis tinternet afterall

you ran off to Google to find an Alu 4x frame that is heavier? Well done! Doesn’t alter the FACT many others are lighter.

No, I ran off to google to find some DJ frame weights. Could you link me to some DJ/4X frames which are lighter? I’d like to see some facts rather than opinions.

One doesn’t like to raise the spectre of hypocrisy, but…

duirdh
    Free Member

ho ho ho.. really?
    I happen to own two which are lighter, how do I know this? I weighed them, I don’t need to run off to google to “prove” my factual experience!
    you carry on believing everyhing you find there though Chief 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I’m merely pointing out that the omniscient attitude of one such as yourself makes you sound like a **** and either fails to provide any useful information for anyone or puts the reader’s back up so that they ignore your big-hitter attitude laden advice, even if it’s good advice or information. Indeed this example just sounds like posturing with no actual content, so much as I’d like to believe you, many wouldn’t.

Therefore you may as well just say nothing at all and stay quietly sitting on your high horse admiring the view of us distant plebs from your ivory tower. Say hello to GW if he’s riding pillion with you.

duirdh
    Free Member

fails to provide any useful information

oh, teh ironi…

C even BA..

yoshimi

Been running Flow EX for about 6 months, tyres go on easy (UST RQ & UST NN), easy to inflate tubeless with just a track pump, not too heavy
    , still run true, I’m happy with them

chiefgrooveguru

fails to provide any useful information

oh, teh ironi…

C even BA..

QED!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stans flow ex or mavic 521?’ is closed to new replies.