Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans fitting
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Firstly, apologies for yet another tubeless question!

I have a Stans kit (rim strips etc) that I would like to use to convert my 717 rims to tubeless. My query concerns the need to drill the rim hole with a 3/8" drill bit. Years and years ago I can remember doing a couple of tyres with an eclipse tubeless kit and never drilled anything. So, is it crucial to drill the rim prior to fitting the Stans kit? And is it better to use brand new tyres or are used ones fine?

Cheers

JonBurns
    Free Member

Haven't done it myself (yet) but I was watching the support videos last week on their website to psyche myslef up for it.

I don't think you have to drill anything but it's recommended (I'd try without drilling first).

With regards to new/old tyres I don't think it matters although new tyres should be inflated fully using a tube first so they take shape.

thefallguy
    Free Member

If you can get the strip flush in the bottom of the rim then not much need to drill, but if its standing proud there could be problems on initial inflation with air rushing out around the valve. The small hole also cuts into the rimstrip where it meets the valve and on one of mine it eventually caused the valve to drop out!

Used tyres are fine but just take extra sealing, its easier first time to go for fresh rubber.

nickc

The small hole also cuts into the rimstrip where it meets the valve and on one of mine it eventually caused the valve to drop out!

Ah, happened to mine also, couldn't work out why the valve had pulled through. Makes sense though.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I've done the front wheel on my Titus (719 rim) with a Stan's kit – didn't drill anything. Bit of yellow rim tape first with a small hole for the valve, then the rim strip itself and away you go. Worth trying this first before drilling anything.

I've only used tubeless-ready tyres on it (Bonty Jones) and they are pretty trouble-free.

You been out much recently? Must catch up…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers all, will try without drilling first. I'll also try with used tyres initially as there's plenty tread left on them so I'm loathe to buy new ones! Another question – should I remove the velox rim tape first and try without that or leave it on and put the rim strip over it?

Stu…yes, been out a bit, with a bit of running too. I was up at Pitmedden this morning as I have the day off. Might be out tomorrow night if there's a club run.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I took the velox tape off mine first and used the yellow Stans tape which came with the kit. Oh – it is a 717 rim, not a 719 as posted above.

My plan is to head down Peebles/Innerleithen way tomorrow for a few hours then packing to head north on Friday morning, so I'll not be out on the Dunf. run this week or next. Back the following week though.

You got any plans for Sat. 22nd? I'm looking for a pairs partner for 10 More in Moray…

thefallguy
    Free Member

if the stans rubber rim strip fits under the bead hook leave it on, otherwise remove it and use something thinner

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

stuartie – I've been meaning to enter for the last few weeks but fancy it solo to be honest. I could be talked into doing it in a pair if no one else is up for it!

stans – will have a mess about, probably literally, and see what happens!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans fitting’ is closed to new replies.