Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stans Crest Woes
  • flossie
    Free Member

I’ve just put a 29er together with stans crest rimed wheels. I’m running them with Maxxis Ardent 2.2 tyres and tubes, but can’t seem to get the tyre beads to seat propperly on the rim. The tyre bead won’t move outwards onto the sidewall and hook of the rim for some reason.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    The hopnotic action of the wiggly tyres is driving me to destraction!

Thanks in advance

Floss

wwaswas

more pressure?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Have you tried some soapy water on the tyre bead to help lubricate it?

br
    Free Member

WTF will folk stop buying Stans rimmed wheels and then complaining that they can’t get tyres with tubes on properly!

Tubeless them, its a piece of pi55, and what they are designed for.

Clobber
    Free Member

b r +1

boxfish
    Free Member

Smear some neat washing-up liquid around the bead, put 60-70 psi in the tubes, and the tyres should snap into place.

FuzzyWuzzy

Agree with ditching the tubes but if you insist on persevering with tubes then inflate to whatever the max pressure the rim and tyre are rated for and hope it pops into place, else soapy water then repeat.

Northwind

b r – Member

WTF will folk stop buying Stans rimmed wheels and then complaining that they can’t get tyres with tubes on properly!

Tubeless them, its a piece of pi55, and what they are designed for.

To be fair though, if it won’t bead up with tubes, then it’s not likely to be easier to bead up with tubeless.

More pressure first. If that doesn’t work, then deflate, then reinflate with more pressure- sometimes it gets to the point that extra pressure is just forcing it harder into the place where it’s stuck. So it’s just like backing off a second then pushing again.

mattjg
    Free Member

If you’re still using the ‘normal’ rim tape (in a Hope Hoop, that’s what comes installed), take it out and use Stan’s yellow ‘electrical’ tape or similar (the size you need is 21mm). That works fine with tubes IMO and will probably fix your problem.

nbt

Even if you;re running tubeless, many people recommend beading up the tyres with tubes first then at least one side is properly seated.

I’m running the same combo and was up to pretty high pressures (70psi I think) before the bead seated. I did however buy the wheels secondhand, if anyone has a mavic-rimmed 29er hope hoop setup (all black – hubs, rims, spokes) they want to swap please get in touch

flossie
    Free Member

Thanks gents.
    It was a conscious decision not to go down the tubeless route because I chop and change tyres a lot depending on where I’m riding events and didn’t fancy the faff.
    I’ve tried going up to 50psi but the bead didn’t snap into place. I’ll try a bit of silicon grease and bear the rim tape comment in mind. Not sure about washing up liquid due to the very high salt content.

Thanks again
    Floss

iainc

flossie – interested in this as I have a recent thread about Crests on Hope factory wheels, which I have on order. Also planning, at least initially, to run with tubes while I sort out tyre options. Some posts do suggest though that having a tube in should make no difference for getting tyre on rim – I hope so !

tacopowell
    Free Member

Be wary of using grease, if it can pop into place than surely they could pop back out, washing up liquid can dry, leaving the bead in place.

scotroutes

Definitely use just the yellow Stans rims tape – not anything else that’s been fitted/supplied.

iainc

wonder why Hope supply with their own stuff then ?

patriotpro
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    wonder why Hope supply with their own stuff then ?

They don’t with Stan’s. Or they didn’t when I bought mine, they do provide their own green tape with the EX500s.

iainc

patriotpro – thanks, I wonder what will come with mine !

br
    Free Member

It was a conscious decision not to go down the tubeless route because I chop and change tyres a lot depending on where I’m riding events and didn’t fancy the faff.

You only really need 2 sets of wheels, with a mud and something less grippy on the fronts and an equivilent less grippy and even less grippy on the rears. So just the most used combo on the Stans set and the spares on your old set.

plyphon
    Free Member

Should of bought XC717’s if you like to change tyres alot!

patriotpro
    Free Member

iainc – The Hope-Hoops with Stan’s I bought came with some velox (I think) but it was the retailer that put that in, Hope supply nothing with Stan’s rims.

Depends which retailer it is really as many of them will chuck some in the box for you as a sweetener.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ll buy Stan’s wheelsets, at a proper cut rate of course, from anyone who thinks they’re junk.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tubeless them. It’s easy with Stans and tubeless ready tyres. It’s harder to use tubes in-fact.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Not sure about washing up liquid due to the very high salt content.

Why???

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

iainc – The Hope-Hoops with Stan’s I bought came with some velox (I think) but it was the retailer that put that in, Hope supply nothing with Stan’s rims.

My Hoops came with green cloth tape loose in the bag- I think Wheelpro removed it to fit the yellow tape. Can’t remember if it was Hope branded or not. Some people just like cloth I guess?

jimification
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the tape is providing it’s very smooth. Stans tape is good because it has a very glossy, low-friction surface that helps the bead slide up out of the middle dip into the bead socket.

I think tyres seat at slightly lower pressure without a tube – the tube tends to push outwards from the middle of the sidewall and try to drag the bead into place, whereas the air will give an equal push all round.

At any rate, once you’ve done it a few times, the tyres have stretched a bit and you know what to expect, it all gets a lot easier.

flossie
    Free Member

Sorted!
    Went with corrosion inducing washing up liquid and 45psi ….. Pop, and we’re good to go!
    Stans rim tape ordered.

speedstar

Another thing that helps is popping the valve out to allow a greater amount of air per pump. The key is to get to a point where the volume going in overcomes the beads willingness to sit in the middle of the rim. Then leave them on overnight and it should be easier to seat them from then on. Ardent’s were a real problem for me. Strangely other Maxxis tyres didn’t prove so difficult, just them.

iainc

gotta say, kind of wishing I’d bought 719’s and some more tubes……I am used to fitting a tyre and tube in 5 mins, changing the odd puncture, swopping tyres around for the seasons…..this sounds a lot of work now !

mattjg
    Free Member

… then one day you’ll be JRA and you’ll realise you haven’t stopped to fix a puncture for over a year …

scotroutes

Stans rims aren’t a problem if you know how to fit a tyre properly.

Frankers
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

To be fair though, if it won’t bead up with tubes, then it’s not likely to be easier to bead up with tubeless.

Tyres seat much much easier on ZTR rims without tubes

Northwind

Not my finding at all (in fact sometimes when a tyre’s hard to bead up tubeless, I fit a tube to mount one side, then remove the tube)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest Woes’ is closed to new replies.