• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stans Crest – further woes
  • soobalias
    Free Member

So having done battle over a few days, to get some 2.1 LUST ADvantages onto some Crest rims….. gave up, impossibly tight to fit, chances of inflation without a compressor were slim and repair out on the trail….just a huge no.

so got some 2.1 ADvantage EXOs, went on the rims with little trauma, inflated reasonably easily, losing pressure but with added Stans they were getting better. They needed riding to seal, without a doubt.

So my mate picks up his bike, takes it home (and this bit I just dont get) puts it in his flat, the bedroom….

He said the tyres were still losing 10-15psi a day, and he kept them topped up to 45psi. Till saturday, when one of the tyres blew straight off the rim. Now he is not sure why but is evidently worried of the outcome if that happened while riding.

So, incompatible tyres/rims, faulty tyre, faulty rim? What next?

(i told him to get 819s – not some spakky system that relies on magic tape)

rootes1

I just converted to tubeless.. I found the ‘tyre lever trick’ was all that was need to go from no inflation to inflation with track pump..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF29qi82Ws[/video]

on my TN719 rims, caffe latex tape and Specialized tyres held air without any sealant after doing the above to the beads

soobalias
    Free Member

not seen that vid before, but with the LUST tyres there is no way you would seat the tyre with a lever like that, the EXO ones popped nicely onto the rims at about 40psi.

its funny because
    http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx
    seems to think that anything except wtb and panaracer are fine, which would appear to be a slightly dubious
    they do have a nice selection of videos, but none help much.

let you know what i find when i get to see the tyre?

tazzymtb

if you look on the rims and the stans website they have a max pressure. At 45 psi you are well over the recommended PSI and tyre beads can stretch and let go. User error not stans error 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

nothing wrong with the EXOs bead, but have now wrestled the LUSTs on.

inflate fine, but just too tight to pop onto the rim properly, so the tyre has a wobble on it

i didnt think that the 45psi in a 2.1 was above the ‘recommended’ max pressure, but perhaps i misread. I cant find that info on their site tho, only on the rim.

however i see stans now have condemned all schwalbe tyres as well, but like you say its a user problem not a stans problem.

i know i will never buy or recommend them

tazzymtb

usual stans rule of thumb is body weight in pounds/7 – 1 for the front and -2 for the rear to get PSI starting point.

been using all sorts of stans rims for years, never had a problem with any of them.

soobalias
    Free Member

that’d put me at 20psi on the front!

so, tazzy, any new tricks to get an LUST to ‘seat’ properly and fully, ive had it up/down half a dozen times now and even neat washing up liquid wont get it quite straight?

im considering riding it at a low pressure to wriggle the tyre about a bit?

gsp1984
    Free Member

I’ve seen non UST tyres pop off stans rims quite a bit… they go with a right bang… strangely only ever at 2 or 3 mph, not seen one go at high speed but can imagine it wouldn’t be nice.

footflaps

I run my Stans Flows with 2.4 Fat Alberts at about 20psi. Any lower and the tyres start creeping on corners.

tazzymtb

so, tazzy, any new tricks to get an LUST to ‘seat’ properly

run a luggage strap over the outside of tyre and do it up tightish, it forces the bead to seat first.

MSP

That stans site warning isn’t very clear, do they mean schwalbe tubeless ready are not suitable?

soobalias
    Free Member

to me it reads that pretty much any schwalbe tyre is suspect, but it does read like stan and schwalbe have had a falling out in the playground

coopersport1
    Free Member

Well i’ve not died and been running Schwalbe for 2 years on crests. Had 1 tyre stretch from being on and off so much that eventually gave up one evening in the garage.
    They can be a bit tight though. Maxxis have also been no probs. Ardent and Ikon Exo here

bigjim

been using schwalbe on crest and arch for a few years, no problems. got one of the tubeless ready ones on a crest, it was quite tight, but is still there.

Nick

Not tried maxxis but not had a problem with bontrager, specialized or schwalbe tyres on my Crests, pump up with a track pump, not particularly tight, in fact I was stunned that they just seemed to work for me given I’m mechanically cretinous.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Brilliant….. just shelled out £70 on a pair of Schwalbe NN / RR for my new Arch Exs just to find that Stans says don’t use them….. or any Schwalbe tyre, ever.

That really has just made my evening.

So any way to recover the cost? can I send them back to where I got them from saying the wheel manufacturer has decided they are likely to blow out at any given time depositing me on my face?

bedmaker

Stick the Scwalbes on, I’ve been using them for years on and off (RR) and constantly for the past few months with Hans Dampf 29ers on Flows. Air up easy, have never leaked or burped.

bruneep

Not Recommend Tires

All Schwalbe tires are not recommended to be used tubeless.

Over the last two years, as Schwalbe has transitioned to offering most mountain bike tires in Tubeless Ready version, we have become aware of these tires blowing off rims unexpectedly. The phenomena is a bit unusual in that it often occurs at low pressure and may or may not break the tire bead. Rim make and model do not matter as we have received reports of, and witnessed tires blowing off of UST rims and several other brands of tubeless ready rims. Most Schwalbe tires perform without incident, but it is near impossible to identify a tire that may be problematic. For this reason we do not recommend using Schwalbe tires as tubeless.

Run NN on my flows without issues run them about 20-25psi. I will continue to do so.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Not Recommend Tires

All Schwalbe tires are not recommended to be used tubeless.

Pretty damning and final to me! but I will continue to ride with them.

hh45
    Free Member

I’ve been running 2.25 Nobby Nics on my Crests for 2 years without any deflation or explosion issues. They have ripped a bit. On two such occasions I have tried to run a 2.35 High Roller and it will not stay up.

My Olympic rims do v well with Racing Ralphs but maybe that is not relevant to the OP.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest – further woes’ is closed to new replies.