Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans crest exploding
  • gar69
    Free Member

Exploding tyre

Anyone else had any issues recently with the Crest rims. yesterday my rear tyre exploded mid corner and dumped me across the road….. landed right in front of an ambulance crew who were spot on! I sat nursing my bruises wondering if it’s worth ditching the rims as it seems I’m not alone in this experience! I’m running two pairs of flows so not anti Stans just a bit pissed off at the moment. I would add that when setting them up several tyres blew off at 30 psi

Clink

What width tyre?

gar69
    Free Member

Specialized 2.0 also blew off bonti mud x at 30 psi but got then on at 25 psi and they stayed on all winter with no issues….. found a big nail in the tyre so wondering if the tyre had gone down then the force of me cornering made the bead give way

njee20
    Free Member

I had a Podium MMX rim that did that. Had a tyre explode once, then successive ones kept doing it. Replaced the rim in the end, no visible damage, but it trashed the tyre every time one blew off (as well as the “will I die!?” Uncertainty.

awh
    Free Member

I had this happen recently too, the rim wasn’t very straight and the tyre was quite old with lumps of solid Stan’s on the bead. I thought was probably due to there no longer being a very good seal with the tyre rather than anything specific to the Crest. The rim is quite low profile so maybe they’re a bit more sensitive.

oliverracing

My experience is ones it’s happened once on a rim then it’s far more likely to happen again. I had a mavic rim (517 I think) that did it once when riding but looked fine, but every time I put a tyre up to 26-28psi it would come off, often not straight away but I’d come back to the bike to find the tyre blown off the rim. Tyres were fine and fitted to other rims with no issues

jonnyboi

If an old tyre it could conceivably have been a stretched bead, I’ve heard of them going bang on bikes before, even when not in use

gar69
    Free Member

Yeah it was a bloody loud bang that’s for sure and yes that’s my concern about it going again….. just checked tyre and it’s go a huge nail in it so possibly a bit of deflation coupled with the corner popped the tyre as it deformed more than normal?

njee20
    Free Member

Seems very likely!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans crest exploding’ is closed to new replies.