Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stan's Crest Blow Off
  • funklenut
    Free Member

Hey all, just got some hoops with crests. Got some Maxxis Advantage Exception 2.1s on and pumped up after some initial faffing, sealant in, holes in sidewalls sorted. I kept getting leaking from the rim / tyre in a few places round the rim. Did a bit more shaking and seating and then bang, tyre off, kitchen whitened, cat bailed! The shop where I bought the rims put the yellow tape on for me and it’s a bit wonky. In some places it actually goes over the bead hook and a lot of places it’s right up to the bead hook – is this right? Looks to me that the tape shouldn’t be right up there as it’ll cause bead seating issues? Any help appreciated, glad I wasn’t riding when it happened, but now para to run them tubeless!

trail_rat
    Free Member

yellow tape in the bead hook will cause no issue unless you have multiple layers – mines has some up in there and has been fine for about 5 years ……

what PSI was in ?

jezandu
    Free Member

Sounds like you put more than 40psi in them!

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

There’s a set of these exact tyres on my sons bike, on the older 355 rim. I also have the 2.25 model on a Crest & some 2.25 Aspens & a 2.4 Chunky Monkey, all on Crests.
    I have experienced a tyre blow off & it’s not pretty. Lot’s of cleaning up. Generally though, they have all gone on trouble free. I do try to get the tape as even as possible though & the one that blew off had been fun to inflate…I switched the yellow tape for the rubber strip & it worked fine.
    Use soapy water when installing & make sure the tyre has “popped” into place all around the bead – should see the bead line on the tyre all the way around, a few mm above the rim. If it isn’t seated by the time you reach 40psi, drop the pressure until you can flex tyre just a little & work the area of tyre until the sidewall is even.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mine often end up with tape up the side like that and does not cause me issues
    But you could use a sharp knife and remove it

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

When I did mine, I trimmed the tape back down with a craft knife to make sure it left the rim wall and bead hook clear.

I have seen a few tyres fail to seat evenly first time and this might be a factor. When this happened, I deflated and added more neat fairy around the bead before re-inflating. This resolved the problem.

njee20
    Free Member

I had a Podium rim do this, on successive tyres. Never got to the bottom of why (it’d be fine for a year before), replaced the rim in the end, they’re not that expensive, and it runied 4 Schwalbe tyres!

br
    Free Member

Quite a narrow tyre too.

Why did the shop put the yellow tape on? I’d have rejected them if wonky, or at least asked for more tape so you could do it properly.

funklenut
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. It had popped on, had been on for a few hours, but it kept leaking fluid from around the rim in a few places. I did pump it up above 40psi, probably 45-50psi to try and find where the leaks were – probably a mistake going that high! I’ll try trimming the yellow tape where it rides right up the rim. I had them fit the tape and valves as they offered to for no cost before dispatch, thought it might save me a job! Do you reckon the tyre will still be ok to re-use, won’t have damaged the bead or anything?

njee20
    Free Member

All mine were ruined after that happened.

LoCo
    Free Member

Had bit of a mare with my new crests and 2.25 rons and ralphs, as brand new the tyre didn’t want to sit onto bead and that was using a compressor and one of those park air head things which are ace 😉

Came to the conclusion that the tyres needed to be stretched a bit to get the bead to sit further out to seat which managed of successive getting them to seat on tyre, them going flat and then puttin back up to 80 psi.
    Next time I’ll put an inner tube in the tyre and leave it for a day or two before fitting so the sidewalls and beads sit further out and seat better to start with.
    I used to do this motorcyle and scotter tubeless tyres which I had to seat using a track pump and no stans 👿
    Now that was an utter git of a job 😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

Next time I’ll put an inner tube in the tyre and leave it for a day or two before fitting so the sidewalls and beads sit further out and seat better to start with.

That’s exactly what i did with my Crests/Nobby Nics. I left them over night at 35psi and then took the tubes out the following morning. They went on with out levers and went up perfectly with a track pump, and have been up ever since (2 months).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stan's Crest Blow Off’ is closed to new replies.