Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stans Crest 29er tyre fitting issues.
  • oldfart

Doing my head in ! Maxxis Ardents ,brilliant tyre but when I get a puncture , oh boy what a fight ! Ended up committing the sin of using a lever end result pinch puncture on a new tube !! Anything else out there that fits better ? Is it because they are tubeless ready rims and I’m fitting tubes ? Not a fan of tubeless so not an option for me .never had this problem before High Rollers on Mavic or DT rims no problems . Got to the point it’s putting me off going far in case I get stranded ! Even thought about different rims FFS ! But different tyres is a cheaper option .

br
    Free Member

Stans rim been used with a tube – FAIL.

scotroutes

Nowt to do with that. I use Arch EX rims and tubes without any problems.

wwaswas

I had similar problems with Specialized purgatory’s.

I did find that using 25mm stans yellow tape helped as did getting the beads right into the well of the rim when fitting.

I changed to Geax Suagaro’s though and they went on easily and blew up tubeless pretty well too.

honourablegeorge

Baffled as to why you’d insist on tubes with those rims.

creamegg
    Free Member

If they’re anything like flows you need to make sure the tyre beads sits in the dip in the rim so it’s slacker until you get the beads on all the way round. That make sense?

edit: as above, why not tubeless? They’re tight even without tubes!

scotroutes

+1

Wookster

I found this for the first while with mine. You need to have the loose bead right in the middle as you fit the rest over the rim? Does that make sence??

oldfart

Reckon rim tape might be the problem . This dumb ass has been using Velox tape , trying to think what they came with . Hope hoops so probably their green stuff . So would getting some Stans 25mm be the solution or at least help ? Still not seeing why the Velox would be the problem apart from being thicker ? Stans just looks like glorified insulation tape !

wwaswas

I think the stans is smooth/shiney which helps the bead slide around. it’s also thinner than the hope green stuff. It runs right to the bead as well so there’s no ‘step’.

feisty
    Free Member

Crests are tight by design and fantastic for running tubless as they hold air virtually without sealant (on Schwalbe they do anyway).

As has been said seems a bit bizarre moaning about puncturing a tube on a rim designed to be run tubless.

Convert man you won’t regret it 🙂 If you must as has been said it is critical to set the bead of the tyre in the rim well carefully and all the way around as you roll the tyre on, I can get mine on by hand with some strong thumbs doing this but levers are a must to get them off

scotroutes

The thicker, rougher Velox tape will be the problem. Either use proper Stans yellow tape or some electrical tape (Stans is shinier). It might also help to add some lube.

johnnystorm

Maxxis tyres have all gone up tubeless with no fuss on my crests. What are the negatives you see in running tubeless?

jairaj

It’ll be the thicker rim tape causing you issues. Just try some leccy tape instead.

My 26 Crest rim works fine with Maxiss tyres. But found that even something like an extra layer of rim tape can make a big difference to how easy it is to get the tyre on and to inflate it.

oldfart

So I guess if I won’t be dragged into tubeless levy tape will do the job rather than spending out on Stans or will it be worth the extra cost ?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Go tubeless you oldfart, if buzz can sort it even you can

jairaj

if can be arsed to wait a day or two then order the tape from superstar. as far as i can tell its the same stuff and its cheaper.

if you want it sorted asap lecy tape should do fine or pay a bit more for the stans stuff from your lbs

but going tubeless with Stans rims and Maxiss tyres is very easy. I just use a normal track pump and the tyres go up nice and easy. none of this faffing about with homemade compressors etc …

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thank you David!

Stans with tubes fail Roly.

Stans tubeless easily with tape tabes goop and the right sort of tyre. Mine went up with a mini pump.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest 29er tyre fitting issues.’ is closed to new replies.