Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stans Crest 29er rims and Bontrager tyres
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    A mate of mine is building me some 29er wheels and having bought some Bontager tyres off here, he says they are an incredibly tight fit and I mean incredibly!!!!
    Other Bontager tyres on 29er Bontrager rims are ok
    Anyone else had any problems?
    This is 29er-just to emphasise
    Cheers
    Steve

KevinPP
    Free Member

Running 29er Crests with Bonty XDX tubeless ready tyres. Didn’t have any trouble getting the tyres on at all.

boxelder

make sure he’s dropped the tyre bead into the central channel before fitting.

Paceman
    Free Member

make sure he’s dropped the tyre bead into the central channel before fitting.

+1 Good Advice.

Makes a big difference, and also fit the tyre side opposite the valve first and work round, helps give you a little more slack.

I’ve found Maxxis ok to fit Crest 29er rims – Ardent, Beaver, and Crossmark all ok.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

seen lots of threads with crests being a pain to get tyres on – recently got some myself, and yes they are a bit tighter than the 355’s they’ve replaced, but as above – make sure the tyre sits in the central groove and no problem (bonty and maxis tyres on with minimum fuss)

boxelder

I’ve swapped 5 tyres today (raining and kids to amuse). Mix of DT5.1, Stans 355’s, Crest and FSA 29er, with crossmark, Racing Ralph, Bonty and WTB tyres. Only one I had bother with was an oldish Ardent on the Crest – couldn’t get it to seal. Didn’t try for long. Everything else went on and up fine with a track pump. You soon learn little tricks to get tyres on and up tubeless.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

make sure the tyre sits in the central groove and no problem (bonty and maxis tyres on with minimum fuss)

As above it’s all in the technique, I’ve fitted 4 tyres on Crest rims today (Bontrager 29.3, Schwalbe RR and 2 Conti Race King) and not had an issue getting them on at all. Once you’ve done a few they really are quite easy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest 29er rims and Bontrager tyres’ is closed to new replies.