Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stans Arch Ex or Flow Ex on All mountain/ "enduro" bike?
  • spicer
    Free Member

I’ve got a new frame on the way (trek remedy, 140mm 27.5″) so now need some new wheels! 🙂
    It’ll be used from xc to downhill (including morzine this summer).
    I have the Flows on pro 2’s on my current bike and have never had a problem with them- so I’m thinking maybe I can get away with a lighter rim- It would be great to keep this build as light as possible.
    So if anyone has experiences of both, the info would be useful! Also, how would the arch’s be with 2.4/5 tyres (at 21mm internal width)? I’m about 70kg, so a bit more geared up.
    Decisions decisions!

spicer
    Free Member

Or, hope enduro rims at 23mm internal and 510g (vs 420 of arch’s and 530 of flows)

endurokid
    Free Member

Flow EX here. Happy so far (after they went back to Hope for a re-tension anyway).

Easy to set up tubeless too (run a 2.5 front and 2.35 rear),

mark_rich
    Free Member

I’m running arch ex’s on a 29er with 2.35 hans dampf, tires roll a bit at low pressure, not sure how much this would be improved on a flow ex.
    However they’ve had some fair hammer in peaks etc and are still perfect after 18 months, they’ve had a DIY retention and true up, I’m about 14 stone.
    I know what you mean about saving weight, I had similar thoughts, and the one place you notice it most is in the wheels, bikes roll so much better with light wheels.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

In your situation I’d be tempted to go with a build with Pacenti TL28 rims which come in at 420g and 23mm internal width, either complete from Superstar or as a custom build, making the most of the bargain price for rims from On-One

These reviews both suggest they are up to the job:

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/thelumberjack/blog/TheLumberJack-Reviews-Pacenti-TL28-Rims-on-Superstar-Tesla-Hubs2.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-superstar-components-pacenti-tesla-ultralight-wheels-13-47357/

Northwind

I’d go Flow Ex if I was you. Or WTB Frequency- I replaced a flattened Flow Ex with a Frequency i25, it’s a little heavier but seems much tougher, certainly more dent resistant

dirtydog
    Free Member

Was in the same predicament, went for Arch EXes in the end. Despite my 100kg mass they’ve held up fine and not needed any attention, although I’d like to think I had something to do with that as I built them.

Not sure Flows are any stronger, comparing the cross section of Arches with Flows they look identical, apart from the extra width of the Flow?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Neither. I’d have either Pacenti TL28 or DL31, or Ryde Trace Trail or Enduro. Wider, lighter and every bit as strong.

chiefgrooveguru

Either are probably fine but I’d go Flow EX for the wider profile, increased stiffness (rim on its own should be about 40% stiffer laterally) and increased strength. What matters more to you: Lower mass or increased durability?

spicer
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions, and particularly heads up on those pacenti rims- they do look good provided they are strong enough (seems a crazily low weight!).
    Very tempted to go for that superstar build. I did want to stick with pro 2 hubs, but the price of pro 2 hubs and rims = fully built from superstar. Time to have a quick look into the tesla eve hubs!

darrenspink
    Free Member

If your going tubeless a bigger rim is better so go flows. Hope enduro rims are a few mm less but also very slightly heavier.

Don’t know about superstars after service care but a good guess is that its not a patch on Hope.

honourablegeorge

Hopes being quoted as slightly lighter than Flow EX now – they were heavier originally.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Hopes being quoted as slightly lighter than Flow EX now – they were heavier originally.

That must be something to do with space time gravity pull 😉

spicer
    Free Member

I decided on the pacenti rims on superstar tesla’s, it’s nice to try something new! Good width and Pretty light for their claimed durability. Ill update in a few months once they’ve had a hammering and see how they compare to hopes. May give tubeless a go to. Thanks for the heads up 🙂

mark_rich
    Free Member

If u buy the prebuilt wheels use MBR10 code for 10% off, I bought a set of tech 4’s with DS25 rims for £166, similar width to flow ex’s, 100 grams or so heavier a pair I think but can’t knock for the money so far.

boxelder

Anywhere got those pacentis cheap in a 29?

Northwind

The Pacentis have a fierce reputation for softness… not too surprising really, Flows are fairly soft and the Pacentis have even less metal in them. Mine were absolutely fine to be fair.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stans Arch Ex or Flow Ex on All mountain/ "enduro" bike?’ is closed to new replies.