Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stans Alpha 340s….any good?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking at getting a set of new wheels for my soon to arrive cx bike/winter trainer

Have been looking at building up a set of Stans Alphas on novatec hubs, however Mixed reviews on these rims. Quite a bit of chatter about how they are made of cheese, and suffer tyre blow offs…

As I recall they are stronger than they use to be (they weigh aronund 415g/rim now, and I’ll be building them with 28 spokes, mainly for road use, but occasional fireroad and gravel tracks as well. I weigh 13 stone and currently run stans 355 rims on the xc bike with no issues.

What do the STW masses say…

If it makes any difference rims are 50 quid a pair, hence the reason I’m fairly attracted to them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah, not at 13 stone with 28 spokes. Get Archetypes.

tpbiker
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, much tougher and they last longer. I wore Alphas out in a few months over winter. Plus they were quite flexy and I had a tyre blow off.

tpbiker
    Free Member

screw that then…I aint risking my face for the sake of 50 odd quid.

How do the archtypes compare to the kiness crosslight that everyone raves about on here. A build with the archtypes will probably cost the same, and weigh similar as well

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Are they for disc wheels? If so, have a look at the Hunt Four Season wheels, and also the Pacenti CL25 I think it is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stans Alpha 340s….any good?’ is closed to new replies.