Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stans 355 Question
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

Right I'm not sure where I got this from but if I get a punture that won't seal with sealant in the tyre can you fit standard presta valved tubes to 355 rims?
    I don't know why and can't find it now but for some reason thought when running yellow tape and the 'small' stans valve that tubes wouldn't fit in an emergency?

Off too take on the SDW at 0430hrs and don't won't to get stuck!, last time I rode a part of it I tore a tyre a little and had to put a tube in, but that was on my old 819 rims.

uplink
    Free Member

if I get a punture that won't seal with sealant in the tyre can you fit standard presta valved tubes to 355 rims?

yes

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can't see why not, I do it with my olympics

dobo
    Free Member

i dont mean to sound negative on your sdw venture but i'm not sure its a good idea to try a big journey like this on new kit your not familiar with and not sure how to fix.
    i hope your taking more than 1 tube too and a patch kit, ust repair kit maybe and a tyre patch, having experience fixing would definitely help.

you wouldt be the first to pull out through punctures, getting lost etc

igm

According to the Notubes installation video, you should have put either a tube or a rimstrip in with plenty of pressure when you first fitted the yellow strip (presumably to hold it down good and tight while the adhesive settles).

So yes

coopersport1
    Free Member

i dont mean to sound negative on your sdw venture but i'm not sure its a good idea to try a big journey like this on new kit your not familiar with and not sure how to fix.
    i hope your taking more than 1 tube too and a patch kit, ust repair kit maybe and a tyre patch, having experience fixing would definitely help.

you wouldt be the first to pull out through punctures, getting lost etc

I'm a seasoned endurance racer! The only thing I've not used before is the wheels, well I say not used I only ever used them for racing about 1/2 a dozen 6hr/100km enduros. Never puntured with them, and it's been that long since I have puntured I just thought I'd double check. Oh a I build my own bikes so can fix most things.

As for map reading I'm also a qualified International Mountain guide and as back up to map have the whole route plugged into GPS.

And as for fitting rim strip bought them from WheelPro so it was already done.

I ask a question about my rims and get quizzed about my ability! STW forum is begineing to loose my affection.

igm

CS1 – I'm not doubting you (in fact I suspected the strip might have come already fitted) just giving my reason for saying yes.

I've also run a ZTR rim (Flow as it happens) with Velox and tubes, beofre installing the yellow rim strip and running like that for a bit, before moving to tubeless with Stan's fluid, a Fat Albert on the front and a High Roller on the back and no UST in sight – you are going to have a very light wheel if you stay away from UST.

Enjoy

dobo
    Free Member

jeez touchy, i didnt question your ability, only assumed if you dont know if you can put a tube in or not then trying to do it on the sdw for the first time might not be the best bet
    good luck with ride, post back with times etc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stans 355 Question’ is closed to new replies.