Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • stans 29er rims – what a load of B******KS
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

after 20 years of fitting tyres to rims I can quite honestly say they are the worst I have ever come across.

there is soon to be a 29er shaped hole in the window to match the 29er indent on the grass.

tyre now in the oven to try and get it to expand enough to get on the flipping rim.

is it gas mark 3 or 4 for an ardent (2.25″)?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Funny my ardents went on better than my schwalbe did

khani
    Free Member

Done three sets of wheels no probs.. Make sure the tapes pressed into the well before it’s pressed on the edge, make sure the bead of the Tyres in the well opposite where your putting it on

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

You are pushing the bead into the well in the centre of the rim before trying to push on the last bit? And putting the bit of tyre next to the valve on last? Not had 29er rims, but never had any troubles fitting tyres to the 26er Stans rims I have – given they have shorter sidewalls and a pronounced centre well, they do require proper technique rather than brute force and ignorance though.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Are you putting one side on at a time ?

smiff
    Free Member

tyre in the oven? Shirley you must be doing something wrong.

johnnystorm

Glad it’s not just me! My Crests are an utter bastard to fit Rons, Ralphs, Beavers and CX tyres to. All folders FWIW. I think Stan needs to get the same ruler as everyone else. 😆

smiff
    Free Member

i did find my 26″ crest tighter than any other rim, including the Flow.. idea is to push rest of bead into the well and work the slack around to the last bit. maybe use some washing up liquid as lube. maybe take the tape off and replace with thinner tape, yellow or insulating tape. how much does kevlar expand when hot anyway, steel bead maybe, but then you’re f**ked when you get a flat out. start again, no oven 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

nope – more than capable of getting a tyre on. Cant push into the centre of the well if I cant get the whole of the tyre on!

Those two sentences would appear to contradict each other. You push the bead which you have got on the rim into the centre well before trying to lift the last bit over the edge of the rim – I don’t see why it should be a problem doing that.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Also try some lube on the rim( 😯 )…….see if that helps

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Really odd as I have 4 sets of 29er crests with Rons, Beaver, Aspen, Ikon and Ralph. all went on with normal effort with no tools required???

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Designed as a tubeless rim so if you are using a rim strip or tube things get a little tight.

weeksy

I’ve always found aftermarket 29er rims harder to fit rubber on than my Giant standard wheels, i can get anything on without tools on the Giants. The Schwalbe Hans Dampf were a toughie to get on the aftermarket rims.

jameso
    martinxyz
    Free Member

The boss has something like a kenda blue groove on a ztr on the rear of his bike and the first bead makes a snapping noise when it pings onto the rim. The 2nd bead is an utter joy.

If he punctures,I think it’s a case of walking home and dremmeling the beads to remove the tyre!

Even michelin comp dh tyres are easy fitting compared to this combo. My flows with bonty acx 29er’s are a nice easy snug fit.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Had 3 sets of 29er Crests now, yes ralphs and rons are a bit tighter than average, but still go on fine. My 2nd set have Ardent 2.25 front and Ikon rear fitted tubless absolutely no probs at all, inflated with a track pump.
    Seems funny a few have issues, even for a heavy rider on a HT I find Crests bomb proof, rode don the brecon Gap last week like I was on my FS and they’re still fine.

Northwind

To be fair, lots of people do lack the basic tyre fitting skills that make this easy 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

@coopersport1 I have crests also but find them quite flexy so had another set built up with Flows ….god they are Much better for my burly bike ………crests are on the lightweight bike though cos a swear they weigh about half as much

Clobber
    Free Member

MTFU

TooTall
    Free Member

Stand Flows 29er and once I worked out the centre groove thingy I’ve had nae bother at all with any brand of rubber on there. Sealing – put an inner tube in, whack it up to 40psi, leave it overnight, remove the tube, goop it up and there you have it.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Fitted 2.25 and 2.4 Ardents to 29″ Flows last week using only fingers and thumbs. Inflated very easily tubeless (with compressor).

You’re doing something very wrong.

takisawa2

I hung a tight tyre up overnight once, with an old vice hanging on it, to stretch the bead. Was a steel bead though.

JamesD
    Free Member

Agreed I’m afraid!

Just to reiterate, you need to make sure the bead of the part of the tyre you can get on is in the centre of the rim (i.e. in the “well”) before you try and put the rest on. Once you get the knack it’s an easy fingers only job, honest!

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

WTB Speed Disc rims and Continental Rubber Queens.
    About an hour. Hands like corned beef.

I won…..in the end…..just

br
    Free Member

And just one layer of Stans yellow tape, no Stans rim strips either.

Since you are going tubeless, just use a lever to get them on.

aracer
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me who thinks that. From his replies, I’m still not sure the OP even understands the advice about putting the bead of the tyre into the well of the rim.

coopersport1
    Free Member

@singlecrack agree on the flex thing but only notice it on the rigid SS so have flows on there, otherwise Crests win every day.

Plus yes I agree with everyone who says the OP and others are doing something wrong…..it’s not rocket science ffs

mbl1
    Free Member

Yup. Takes two people 5 minutes to get a Crossmark on my 29er Crests. Doing it alone it takes 3 tyre levers (one of which i hold in place with my ribcage!) and the whole process takes in excess of 10 minutes and is exhausting. Thus they sit in the box and I ride other wheels.

mbl1
    Free Member

Just read the replies. I know exactly how to to get a tyre on and have never had to use tyre levers before. There is something very wrong with some stans rims now. My old 26er Crests were easy to fit tyres to.

aracer
    Free Member

I know exactly how to to get a tyre on

Go on – give us an explanation to prove it.

Normal rims are doable without the correct technique – Stans rims are harder due to the lower sidewalls and tighter seat for the bead when in place, making correct technique more important.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Actually there has been some alterations to the crest rim, the newer ones have grown by a couple of mill, which may not sound much but it’s made a big difference to the ease (or not) of fitting some tyres.

mbl1
    Free Member

Bead pushed right down in to the well all the way round as i progressed. Which in itself took some doing. Also hung the tyre on a radiator and left the wheel outside.
    Even after the tyre was eventually on and properly seated for a week it still hadnt stretched enough to make it noticeably easier.
    This was all without tubes too. Trying it with tubes was hilarious!
    My new rims are stans licenced and i can fit the same tyres by hand in no time at all.
    The regularity of threads from people having problems seems to suggest a problem too.

Jeffus
    Free Member

http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter.aspx

watch the video ZTR Tire install, follow it exactly and tyres go on easy, I fitted Maxxis Ikons to Crest 29er rims set up tubless took less than 5 mins a tyre, while drinking a brew 😀

gee
    Free Member

Do you just have the tape and a valve fitted or are you also using a rimstrip?

GB

smiff
    Free Member

yeah i think new Crest’s might be tighter (bigger) than early Crests, the 26″ i bought a few weeks ago is the tightest rim i’ve ever known (ooh err), and that’s with a 2.35 Minion which is an old tyre not known for being tight afaik – wonder if they were trying to solve a tyre blow-off problem, the socket on Crest is way smaller than on Flow.. or bad batch of Crests in 26 and 29? no idea. i don’t think this guy is just incompetent though.

“My new rims are stans licenced and i can fit the same tyres by hand in no time at all.”

you mean someone else is doing the mnfr? how do you tell? tbh i’m more worried about tyres blowing off than struggling to mount them.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Managed to get Ralph’s and Rockets on my Arch 29ers with my fingers and inflated with pump! Never had any issues with Stans. I was forever cursing UST when I had Mavic rims and UST tyres.

mbl1
    Free Member

Smiff… Sun Ringle Black Flag rims.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Problem solved.

Quote from Stans Website – Recommended Tires.

“WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan’s Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.”

Only found this out after 4 bike mechanics and I spend 2 hours at work trying to get a pair of WTB Nanos on a set of crest 29s.

mastakillah
    Free Member

Niether had I, Cost me £60 to find out too. Only just got them to fit on a set on Bontrager Duster rims.
    A set of none TCS went straight on. So it’s B#ll~cks to Tubeless Tires!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I was forever cursing UST when I had Mavic rims and UST tyres.

Why?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘stans 29er rims – what a load of B******KS’ is closed to new replies.