Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stanon switchback vs cotic soul
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’m looking for a do everything hardtail. From local mellow rides to trail centre blasts. Which one of these frames would people recommend to build up. At the moment I’m swaying more to the Stanton just to give a bit more capability. Just need to make sure it doesn’t feel to much bike and can cover all riding from longer xc rides to steeper stuff

nwill1
    Free Member

I ride a Slackline and have a good number of chums I’ve ridden with who have a Switchback (part of an owners group on FB who meet up). I always thought the Switchback was more DH/Agro but they all seem to love them and do lots of XC and love them. My Slackline is my XC bike.

It also depends on travel 120mm go Soul 140mm go Stanton. Be mindful there is a MK2 coming soon(ish) which address the rear tyre clearance issue. When the MK1 was designed it was designed around a narrower tyre some wanted larger volume tyres (2.4) which do t fit without rubbing.

Brown
    Free Member

I had a 26″ Soul, then a Slackline and now a Switchback.

The Soul is a lovely bike. It was the best of the three for ‘riding around’ on. Great on XC rides and brilliant through semi-techy singletrack. It was just nice to ride. Having said that, I did a few Gravity Enduro rounds on it and it was more than capable. Great bike.

The Slackline was loads of fun DH tracks and techy stuff. Really good at cornering and jumped really well. It was heavier than my Soul and I didn’t think I was going to like it, but it made me grin every time I rode it. I rode a 24 solo on it too, so it’s perfectly good for big rides!

The Switchback is my current bike. The slackness has taken some getting used to in tight stuff, but now it’s awesome. It’s in its element on steep and techy stuff – the harder the better – and absolutely charges over rough ground. And despite this, it climbs virtually as well as the Soul.

I’d pick a Soul for ‘normal’ riding and a Switchback if my riding tended towards DH and tech stuff, although I’d say both bikes will cope well with either. That said, my Slackline was the one that made me smile the most and is the one I’d pick.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matther01
    Free Member

As above had a 26″ mk3 Soul, 26″ ti slackline and now 27.5″ switchback. Loved the Soul for all round riding at 120mm. The slackline was running 160mm and a scream. The switchback kind of sits in the middle for me, great all day machine…but really composed going down. The short stays make it really fun like the slackline.

Soul doesn’t do 142×12 which is a pity, but is Reynolds 853 so weighs less and has various sizes. Switchback is heavier, rear tyre clearance is an issue for some (not me, don’t need more than 2.35 rear). New switchback mk2 has a new yolk to sort this and more sizes.

Cotic do demo days so try before you buy?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

When does the new switchback come out ?

nwill1
    Free Member

If you’re local to Cannock Dan Stanton would probably offer you a ride around there on his Switchback, if not Stanton owners group on FB has lots of friendly folk, sure someone would be happy to let you have a spin.

Thanks to the guys above you’ve made me feel better about my Slackline Ti 🙂 always wondered if I should get a Switchback but can’t afford a Ti so stuck with the Slackline…I absolutely love my Slackline Ti but THAT Switchback Ti promo bring out the worst in my lust for new bikes!!!

nwill1
    Free Member

I might be wrong but sure I read about 9 months away??? Someone will probably be along to correct me soon!!!

matther01
    Free Member

New switchback steel should only be a few weeks away. They’re just refining the colours and decals

Join the FB page and you’ll see them

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Awesome. Think I’ll hold out for the new one. Is it slightly longer

matther01
    Free Member

Oddly there are 2 different size TT for the 16.5 and 18 I think.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Matther. Where did you hear the steel frame would be out soon. I thought it was still 6 months out so off. If not I’ll wait and get one of the mk2s

matther01
    Free Member

On the Stanton Facebook page

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I ride a 26″ BFe with 110/140 switchable forks, tis a wonderful bike and rides well in either setting. If 140 travel is what you want then BFe is a good choice and switchable forks give additional flexibility.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stanon switchback vs cotic soul’ is closed to new replies.