Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stannage Plantation locals please
  • buckster
    Free Member

Following these instructions, which is the best descent, following the trail or down through the Plantation I guess the lefthand trail…

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/128-the-peak-district/17-stanage.html

3. (6.3 miles) SK256851 Turn right onto the track. This is climbs gradually up to a gate. Through this the trail is paved with gritstone slabs leading to Stanage Pole. Past the pole double track leads to the top of Stanage Edge. Here begins a fast and very, very rocky descent! (There is also a slower more technical alternative if you take the bridleway through the plantation but beware walkers and climbers coming up).

tlr

The descent through the plantation is best. The other route is now a flat easy trail.

To reach it turn left on a small paved track when the big track bends right. Follow the small track north for a few yards until some rocky slabs then follow the obvious trail down round a left hand hairpin.

AlexSimon

Yes, as tlr says, the track described as ‘a fast and very, very rocky descent!’ has now been sanitised and is now almost wheelchair accessible.
    Do the other one!

The one you want is this one:

docrobster
    Free Member

What he said^^^^^
    I’ve not bothered riding down the now flattened main track since it was sanitised. It’s a steady boring climb now instead.
    Shortly after it was flattened there was a very nasty crash where an experienced rider came a cropper at speed on the drainage bars and broke both wrists plus vertebrae etc.
    It was not only a better ride but also safer before being improved by dcc!
    Edit:https://www.strava.com/segments/7356364
    Another edit: my screensaver at work: http://thisisheffield.co.uk/2011/free-wallpaper/

bigdaddy

How topical, I downloaded that very ride to do next Tuesday afternoon on a work trip. I’ll now also take the alternative route!

pnik

stannage plantation descent
    [video]https://vimeo.com/187036095[/video]

From my trip down with tlr last month. I’d apologies for the editing, riding and choice of tune if i thought you cared 😉

It’s great fun, and possible to ride much better than me!

docrobster
    Free Member

Mmmm, plantation video?
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/video/Stanage

pnik

Not fair, he had the advantages of talent, skills and no fear.

docrobster
    Free Member

I do love the plantation descent. A must do if you’re in the area

buckster
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, here’s to it not raining tomorrow.

From my trip down with tlr last month. I’d apologies for the editing, riding and choice of tune if i thought you cared

The music made it for me, I shall be humming it all the way

bigdaddy

So, as I said earlier in the thread, I’m up this way for a work trip next week, and have Tuesday afternoon free to ride – it was my plan to do the same ride Buckster posted at the top, so if any locals are around and want to join me (and/or show me a better local knowledge route) then I’d love the company…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Cant believe they took out all those rocks on the Byway trail and they say they are looking after the Peaks crazy.

bigdaddy

Well I lost my stanage edge virginity today. What a great trail! The whole ride was awesome (a bit chilly mind!) the peaks is awesome… Pics to follow when I’ve sorted out uploads…

scuttler

VG book has five+ pictures of the corner over the edge. Definitely the most photogenic of PD trails; shame I can’t be arsed to stop and take pics.

Mugboo

I need a ride for Sunday and I’ve not ridden this area of the peaks, is it a good ride? Is Lady Cannings open?

tuboflard

Just looked at the route from the OP. I think Bamford Clough is still closed, or it was last time I went up there about a month ago.

Mugboo, pretty sure Lady Cannings is open too.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…pretty sure Lady Cannings is open too.

er, not for another week or so i think…

tuboflard

My mistake, sorry, drove past there only last week and there were bike lights clearly visible on the trail from the road. Guess it didn’t mean it was open though! Edit. Should have just checked Twitter, a lot easier. https://twitter.com/ridesheffield/status/794563304811335680

Mugboo

Thanks chaps, might wait till it opens. Seems a shame to head past without riding it. It’s too far from Brighouse to drive down especially.

bigdaddy

Is that the steep straight track full of broken concrete? It was closed, it I went down inas I had no idea of an alternative!! You can still get down there – pretty slippery though!

ahwiles
    Free Member

that ^ sounds like Bamford clough, did you end up in a village (Bamford)?

‘Lady Cannings’ is a small pine plantation near sheffield, with a cracking purpose built mtb trail in it. It’s not unlike a mini-trail centre, but (intentionally) not big enough to be a destination in it’s own right.

shameless plug: if you’ve enjoyed the trail in Lady Canning’s do think about donating to our next crowd-funded trail…

RADmires, Redmires, get it?

thepodge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about missing Lady Cannings, three laps / 20 minutes and you’ll be getting bored.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about missing Lady Cannings, three laps / 20 minutes and you’ll be getting bored.

thanks Podge, every little helps.

tbf, you’re probably not wrong, but you could say the same about any single mile of descent/trail if picked on in isolation, it’s all about the journey, etc.

tuboflard

Bigdaddy, yes that’s Bamford Clough you’re describing. It did have a fence/bit of metalwork and a closed sign across it last time I was up there, you’re right, you can still cycle down it but not sure what status it is with DCC at the moment (not that we should worry too much about that given their general approach to trail maintenance).

bigdaddy

It still had the fence and the sign, but because I’m a southerner I couldn’t read it 😉

Mugboo

I’ve contributed to both, one day I’ll get there.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stannage Plantation locals please’ is closed to new replies.