Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stands the test of time.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I was very impressed by all the bling and high end engineering I saw at the bike show yesterday, carbon wheels, titanium this and that. It's all very nice.

Got me thinking about stuff that is truly legendary in terms of price versus performance the stuff that is truly fit and forget or at least fit and not worry too much afterwards.

I nominate my XT square taper bottom bracket and Middleburn cranks. 8 years of chunky me using them hard and still silently cracking on with their jobs.

Anyone else want to make a recommendation??

noteeth
    Free Member

Deore XT Thumbshifters.

mike_check
    Free Member

the UN52 BB that came on my '97 Kona was put into a bike I built up for my mate earlier this year, still noise and wobble free!

Also my Hope Sport front hub is over 7 years old and spinning smooth and tight with the original bearings! On the 3rd rim now!

saxabar
    Free Member

Deore XT Thumbshifters

+1. Never tweaked – still working perfectly.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

SHIMANO>>> EVERYTHING

Onzadog
    Free Member

The oldest parts on my bikes are the Hope BULB hubs and brakes and the King headset. All well over ten years old and still going strong.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I can second Bulbs, I have some and they just last and last.

deus

Bulbs, chnaged all bearings and pawls in mine.

not a patch on the old ti-glide hubs, never changed a bearing in those and they've done twice (at least) the mileage.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Un 52. Used on the winter bike and the rest of the year the GF keeps it spinning. Got to be 7 years old now and not even a creak.

A crappy mini pump I brought from Asda for the kids. My triple the price Topeak gave up after a year so I "borrowed" the Asda special. That was four years ago. Cracking pump.

pitduck
    Free Member

time atac, had a pair since 2000 changed 1 spring and one bearing and i"m very heavy (fat) 😆

Swalsey
    Free Member

XTR 950 rear mech – 4 frames and all year round use since 2004!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My 950 rear mech died when a very large branch ripped the ass out of it. 😥

67gingerbiker
    Free Member

hope hubs; on the singlespeed and two other geared bikes, an occasional grease and they roll on and on

lunge

Flite Ti Saddle. Mine has been on every bike i have owned since about 1998. It looks really scruffy but still too comfy to throw away.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stands the test of time.’ is closed to new replies.