Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Standover/top tube clearance
  • 27orangeninjas
    Free Member

Hi Folks

How much clearance should there be/is recommended between the top tube and one’s gentleman parts when standing over the bike with feet on the floor. I’ve been looking for a new bike and whilst trying one yesterday that the shop guy said was the right size for me, my plums were firmly resting on the top tube whilst standing over the bike. Is this right? Is there a recommended clearance height?

The bike felt roomy when riding it around the car park, I’m just concerned about standover.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stand over height is only important when you are stood over the bike.

warpcow
    Free Member

^This. Not often you fall directly down/forwards either. Much more important that the bike fits in other ways

amedias
    Free Member

Stand over height is only important when you are stood over the bike

As someone with short legs I disagree, it’s also important to have clearance to allow you to move around the bike on the trails, constantly banging your knees or thighs on the TT when you’re trying to move around on techy bits, jumps and berms is annoying and a hinderance.

Much more important that the bike fits in other ways

Important that it fits right in all the ways, there’s no need to make a compromise really, there are many many bikes out there.

Although…OP you didn’t mention road or MTB, if it’s road then I agree and ignore the above.

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s a mtb I like plenty of ballroom. You’re not always planning to have to put your foot down and it won’t always be on level ground.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Im not overly long in the leg and new bikes do all seem high. Ideally you want an inch or two of clearance but if it was the bike I really wanted and the rest of the fit was good I would still go for it.

27orangeninjas
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. The issue I have is that I’m often out on the trails with my 9yr old daughter (who just loves mountain biking) and wants to try and get up some steep but short hills but runs out of momentum sometimes and i end up having to stop on some v uneven ground. I shall look at a few more bikes and see if I can find one that fits, but with more standover.

rocketman
    Free Member

the shop guy said was the right size for me

priceless

along with
    ‘there’s good news and bad news’
    ‘no they’re all one piece’
    and the classic
    ‘that’s the best I can do’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Standover/top tube clearance’ is closed to new replies.