Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Standard 'What Is Wrong With People?' rant.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Coming out of the supermarket carpark today I see a guy about to reverse out of his space so stop and wait. Out he reverses and just keeps on going. I can kind of see what’s going to happen and quickly try to engage reverse but there’s a car behind me, so he just reverses straight into me.

I get out and tell him to move forward so I can inspect the damage. No damage, well a little scrape, but nothing worth wasting time over. I tell him the bumper’s soaked it up and to not worry about it. Apology? Thanks for not being a dick about it? Acknowledgement even? No. Nothing. Just grunts and buggers off.

Kind of wish I’d done the whole “my pride and joy needs a complete re-spray and I’ve got whiplash” thing that everyone seems to go in for these days.

Dick.

Rant over.

allthepies
    Free Member

Didn’t you hit the horn ?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I had that happen to me too Jam.

Plenty of people out there like him.

Maybe he was mentally ill, mistakes happen, depressed or someone died etc.

Don’t worry about it what was wrong, nobody was hurt.

Go ride and have fun.

thepurist

Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll get a call from someone offering to help you claim money back for your recent accident. They phone me all the time and I haven’t even had an accident so you’re guaranteed to get plenty of calls.

keng38
    Free Member

You’ll probably get police at the door and accused of driving away from an accident.
    Then a claim of whiplash.

jambourgie
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Didn’t you hit the horn ?

Actually that’s a good point. Now that I think about it I don’t think I’ve ever used the horn in all my years of driving. Happened very quickly, but that’s certainly a case where it should’ve been used. Just didn’t occur to me. I’m too bloody laid-back for my own good sometimes. Would rather swerve round people than use the horn.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You dont use the horn??

Its there to warn people and wake up the braindead.
    I use mine every day especially on narrow back lanes with blind bends.. always worth a big blast as it may alert someone coming the other way who could be possibly driving too fast, in the middle of the road etc.

Also if i notice someone coming the otherway on their phone… BWWWWAAAAAAAARRPPP!!!!!!
    Im quick on the horn me.

CountZero

This is a good reason to drive a Landy Defender, with a ball-hitch or towing eye on the bumper. I’m afraid I’d have been leaning on the horn, hard!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re totally right. I have a bell on my bike for exactly these reasons. Just never occurred to me to do the same in the car. Seem to always be swerving out of the way of someone randomly moving in front of me. I remember thinking I’d never heard that before when the MOT tester gave it a blast in January 🙂

jambourgie
    Free Member

Doh. I’ve just admitted to having a bell on my bike. 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Glad you said that about the horn – I had to learn to use mine myself. I learned to drive in the countryside where you hardly ever need it. I had to lean on mine in that exact situation you had and it took several seconds for the old codger to realise what the noise was.

You have to remember though that some people just don’t know how to communicate at all. He might’ve been contrite or feeling stupid and ashamed, and those are sometimes hard to deal with and express if you’re not emotionally articulate.

stumpy01

I’ve had it happen twice.

First time was in a cinema car park and the daft bint reversed into my wing even though I had my hand on the horn for a good couple of seconds. She blamed me, but insurance found her 100% at fault.

Second time more recently, woman reversed into my bumper, shunted me back about a foot (again with my hand on the horn) and then drove off. When I managed to catch her up and stop her (much tooting and flashing of lights) she claimed that she didn’t realise she had hit me, but had nudged the kerb…. 🙄

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Seem to always be swerving out of the way of someone randomly moving in front of me.

I had a mate who used to do that. He’s dead now after doing it one too many times.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I get out and tell him to move forward so I can inspect the damage. No damage, well a little scrape, but nothing worth wasting time over. I tell him the bumper’s soaked it up and to not worry about it. Apology? Thanks for not being a dick about it? Acknowledgement even? No. Nothing. Just grunts and buggers off.

I’d get insurance involved. Just to piss on his chips.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

this is one of the reason I hate people.. stupid ones the most

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Had exactly the same issue the other day……with an articulated lorry

All being sorted but it kinda amazed me how blasé the driver was about it all (basically didn’t give a monkey’s)

zippykona

Even if no damage is apparent you should always check the boot opens and shuts ok. The rear panel can be pushed in.

andyl
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I went into Bristol and didn’t use my horn.

The land rover has a meaty horn that makes people jump 🙂

Cougar

Never used the… wow.

I’d be wary of the ‘just a scrape’ on the bumper. I was rear-ended a little while ago, came away with minimal visible damage but the supports inside the bumper had done their job and smashed / deformed to absorb the impact. I’d go and get yours checked out if I were you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Standard 'What Is Wrong With People?' rant.’ is closed to new replies.