Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Standard of Cyclist on the Road
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

5 year old children are allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road.

people on bikes essentially pose no risk to others so there is no requirement for them to meet any standard.

people who operate big machinery around them pose danger, and so they need to be trained and licensed to meet a standard.

It’s simple really

mrlebowski
    Free Member

5 year old children are allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road.

people on bikes essentially pose no risk to others so there is no requirement for them to meet any standard.

people who operate big machinery around them pose danger, and so they need to be trained and licensed to meet a standard.

It’s simple really

So basically you’re saying that cyclists have no responsibility for their actions & can ride as badly as they chose?

gwaelod
    Free Member

everybody has a level of personal responsibility…commensurate with their age and the risk they pose to others.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

everybody has a level of personal responsibility…commensurate with their age and the risk they pose to others.

True but cyclists can & do cause serious accidents.

jock-muttley

The thing is with crap cyclists in comparison with crap motorists is that the laws of Darwinisim are far more effective on a bike …. 😈

aracer
    Free Member

Linky please

aracer
    Free Member

Thx HH, but I was really after one where the cyclist was at fault 😉

falkirk-mark

I love the way on here that if you do 300 miles a week on an expensive road bike you are a cyclist as opposed to someone on a £100 bike riding 10 miles a week to work who some class as a pedestrian on a bike or someone going to work on a bike. WHILE SOMEONE IS ON A BIKE THEY ARE A CYCLIST whether some on here like it or not. If someone in a car runs someone down a motorist has done it (even if they borrow/hire a car to do 100 miles once a year).Get over it there are shit cyclists/motorists/proffesional drivers its a fact of life.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Plenty of bad behaviors on roads from all users, drivers are a problem due to the harm a vehicle can cause.
    Pedestrians with the “If I don’t look at you you won’t run me over” game or breaking into 2 steps of a jog when caught crossing the road in front of cars.
    As for cycling I see a lot of gutter hugging, leaving the cyclist nowhere to go and riding through the worst bit of the road.
    RLJ in packs (the last one was on an organised charity ride 5 mins after a briefing about obeying road rules signals)
    Not looking or signalling intentions
    Groups riding single file in long lines making themselves impossible to pass safely when being in a bunch would be much safer.

Education for all road users needs to be better, for the vulnerable it needs to be more focused on staying alive.

craigxxl
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

In a country where 400 odd pedestrians are killed every year by motor vehicles, you’re going to have to do a bit better than that as an example of a cyclist causing carnage – particularly if you want to support the assertion that cycling standards are as important as driving standards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

particularly if you want to support the assertion that cycling standards are as important as driving standards.

why wouldn’t cycling standards be as important as driving standards? Everyone using the road should know what they are doing, just because a driver does something wrong doesn’t mean everyone else can do what they like.

Unless you can find a way to radically improve cyclist and pedestrian safety, I would suggest training and educating those groups to be aware of the dangers that surround them is a good idea. As I said in my post I see plenty of people on bikes that look way out of their depth and likely to end up in a bad way, there are things that they can do to be safer given the level of bad driving that goes on out there.

as much as the phrase is hated
    We are all in this together.

aracer
    Free Member

Fairly sure it’s already discussed up thread, but it’s related to the amount of harm they can (and do) do to other road users. Compare car drivers killed by cyclists to cyclists killed by car drivers (or pedestrians killed by either).

Training cyclists might be a good idea, but it’s not necessarily the best use of resources when it’s not going to have a huge impact on the majority of cases where the cyclist has done nothing wrong.

…oh here we go

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Standard of Cyclist on the Road’ is closed to new replies.