Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • standard hose length for rear hydraulic brake ???
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is a typical rear hose length for a new hydraulic brake?
    I thought they were generally 1600mm??

I have been sent 2 different rear brakes (same model) recently and they had a rear hose length of 1350mm & 1450mm. This seems too short?

I have not actually had a chance to see if they fit on the bike yet, but I am pretty sure they are too short. I measured what cable I need for the rear derailleur, and it is just under 1600mm. I would expect the rear brake to be similar.

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Usually 1700 I thought.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends if they are new/OEM or specced to a certain bike (grey stuff)

Who sent you these things?

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Yep true, if you bought them brand new they’d be 1700, anything not from the shop/Internet shop might come off a factory bike which have been cut.

pembo6
    Free Member

Avid Elixir 3’s from CRC.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did they come boxed?

anything not from the shop/Internet shop might come off a factory bike which have been cut.

Perhaps but also anything from the interent could have come this way or be part of an over ambitious batch for small frames etc. all supplied at x mm hose length for the bikes.

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Bit unlucky then, were they on sale?

pembo6
    Free Member

Yep. Really cheap. Think they were $42 Aussie dollars each. They were sold without rotors but nothing mentioned anything about hosees that are too short to use!!!

I should point out that CRC have been excellent in trying to sort this out (they sent me a replacement one for free). But the replacement was only 100mm longer (1450mm).

Waiting to hear back from them now. I have a feeling these cheap brakes with no rotors are warranty repairs that they are reselling???. Just a complete guess. Because every one I have been sent has had something different. Some came with 20mm adapters. Some came with no adapters. One came with adjustable banjo. The others have no adjustable banjo. And 1 even came with a matchmaker clamp!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sounds like they have been destined for different bikes and crc bought up the odd and sods that were left over. In this case I guess you get what you pay for but a little cheeky not to list the hose length – I guess reply asking for what you need or take a refund.

pembo6
    Free Member

Yeah, I have told them what I need (twice now) and am waiting to hear back.

I will probably end up keeping what they have sent me and “engineering” a solution myself. I can take the hose and adjustable banjo from the original faulty calliper (that hose is the correct length!), and put that onto one of the other working callipers (that came with the short hose).

But that will require a full bleed and I really shouldn’t have to do that myself (but I have the bleed kit and know how to do it).

Oh, and to answer your question….. no they weren’t boxed. Just came in a CRC box with bubble wrap around each lever & calliper.

coatesy
    Free Member

As far as having to bleed it goes, i’d recommend doing it anyway, Avid’s factory bleeds are abysmal, so poor that we don’t risk letting any new bike fitted with them out of the workshop without a bleed(we also free up the sticky pistons too).

pembo6
    Free Member

Damn. It’s a sticky piston that was wrong with the first brake. That’s why they sent me a replacement.

Coatsey, how do u fix the sticky piston? I tried everything the avid manual said. Tried “advancing the piston”. Tried opening the lever bleed screw and forcing the pistons open to get rid of a little fluid. Nothing worked. One piston just won’t fully retract unless forced back with the bleed block.

pembo6
    Free Member

Hey coatsey, I just noticed that u already replied to my previous thread about the sticky piston. I already tried everything u said. Since then CRC have sent me 2 sets of replacements that both have too short hoses!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘standard hose length for rear hydraulic brake ???’ is closed to new replies.