Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Standard amount of holidays
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

I’m quite surprised by the responses here, when I started 6 years ago I was fresh out of uni and it did seem like 20+ bank holidays was normal. Interesting to see how things are changing.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Here it’s fairly standard:

25 + the bankers, +1 for every 5 years service up to +5.

We can buy up to another 5 if we want.

konagirl
    Free Member

For a bit more private sector perspective. Office 9-5 Mon-Fri jobs with some limited travel / field work.

With my old employer (consultancy) I started with 22 days + BH (we had to take 3 days between Christmas and NY, so 19 days to take when we wanted). That increased after 5 years service by 2 days and after 10 years service by 4 days, and also increased on promotion to a senior band by 3 days, but you also couldn’t claim overtime (e.g. from fieldwork, travelling) once in that grade.

My current employer is 25 days + BH.

The public sector research offices where I did my PhD was more like 30 days + BH + 10.5 concessionary days + flexitime, accruing up to 2 days per month. So you could work long days and get over 70 days off per year; so twice as much as I get now!

I would love to be able to buy more holiday.

willard

25 plus public holidays. I have to use some of that for my work with the Army though, so it is not really enough.

In terms of proper holiday, I think I have a week over summer and three or four days at Christmas as time off work for resting. Everything else goes to the Army or when things need to be done.

spawnofyorkshire

31 anytime + 3 between xmas and new year (sometimes 4 depending on what day xmas eve is) + bank holidays

I never use it all early and have to take loads of days off in march or lose it

(university, but my dept doesn’t do flexi so i’m strict 9-5)

rocket
    Free Member

25 and bank holidays here. Also get 10 or 11 Jewish holiday days a year as well, as the company owners are pretty devout Jews. They’re at fairly random times (for a non-Jew anyway!) but very much appreciated as extra days with kids or getting a decent length ride in 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

20 + Bank Holidays, and no cross over with other employees.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

20 + Bank holidays here as well, small (circa 20 staff) engineering company. Don’t think there’s any added for long service either, but as I’ve only been here 2 1/2 years that doesn’t affect me anyway! OH has just started a new job and gets 25+BH but they do it on an hourly basis so she can leave 2hrs early and take it off her holiday if she likes.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

25 initially, plus bank holidays. Rising to 30 after 5 years of service (which I have).

Need to keep 3-4 days back for the mandatory Christmas break though. Overall, I’m happy with this.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

33 + BHs. Utility company. More recent arrivals significantly less.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Standard amount of holidays’ is closed to new replies.