Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Stand up paddleboarding?
  • Flaperon

Anyone do it? Now live on a section of river which allows watersports to explore and it looks to be a fun combination of peaceful and hard work, depending on how fast you go.

Only thing is, they’re not cheap and wondering what your experiences are? Got an intro course booked next week in the Lakes to have a play around.

(Already have a kayak but can’t take it travelling with me… 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Have one, don’t get to use it very much due to family commitments

They are great fun, harder than you think on the ocean

Get an inflatable as it’s a lot easier to travel with

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Have one, use it on lakes, rivers, canals (don’t fall in here) and sea. Great fun, really easy once you’ve got the hang – great plan to have a lesson on a lake to start with. Fab core work out, you will be knackered the day after for a while. Inflatables (isups) are the way forward – Red are the best – they last forever so buy a 2nd hand or ideally ex hire one that is 1 season old. Longer board for touring, shorter for surf or white water. Taller person = longer board too. Eventually get a carbon paddle (lighter and so better for long paddles). Love mine, even use it in the winter with thick westsuit. Agree with b’n’d though can be hard to get time away, I will rent boards for boys for 1-2h which becomes splash/push off/race fest!

kayak23

Nothing to add except I’ve never really ‘got’ sup.
    Seems like it’s just kayaking without the nice sit down. 🙂

prawny

I’ve been toying with the idea of an isup coming from a background in racing kayaks. I miss being on the water but I haven’t got room for a boat at home and I know an inflatable kayak would frustrate me after what I’m used to. Lots of good canals around Cannock too.

I think it’s next on the list after I’ve finished paying for me bike.

Unless I can talk the wife and kids into a Canadian of some kind.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Not sure why but I really fancy having a go at this but I can’t even swim!
    Probably not the greatest idea for me 😆

big_n_daft
    Free Member

use a leash and you are tied to whopping great big life raft

mrhoppy

I can kind of see the appeal but there’s a lot of look at me types that have jumped on the scene.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Never tried yet but love the look of it! Although I do feel like the Instagram posts I see about it probably romaticize the idea and it will be way harder/colder/wetter than it looks

Rockape63
    Free Member

Looks a complete waste of time. For that reason…..I’m out!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Isn;t the idea to paddle out, surf in, paddle out, surf in etc? Agree I can’t see the appeal for just sauntering around calm water, but paddle boarding, like windsurfing, was invented to simply make riding the waves easier.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

I thought this was an Orlando Bloom thread. Paddle compulsory, trousers optional. 😯

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Orlando was kneeling on the board, not standing like a real SUPr truly proud of his paddle. Shame for Katy really, space on my board for her

giant_scum
    Free Member

Had a try at SUP last week at Loch Morlich. Unbelievably buoyant, hard work staying upright in the slight chop. Need to try it in the surf before committing to buying one!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

It’s great! I’d liken it to a bike ride on water, you can go super hard or take it easy, we live on the beach so it’s easy enough for us but red paddle isups are the way forward if you have to drive to get to the water. Loads of disciplines, but for general sauntering around, get something around 10 foot, and it’ll still catch a wave of you want it to.

Invest in the best paddle you can, the difference between ok and shit is huge, and heavy, flexy ones are a waste of money.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s what I’ve always thought, hence don’t really see the point where there’s no surf. But then I have plenty of other faster options for getting around on water (also including ones I can ride waves on).

BigJohn

For people near Cannock Boardwise do regular demo days and evenings at Chasewater and elsewhere.
    For me, as a windsurfer, SUP turns a windless day into a really dull day. Unless you’re in surf. And you’re good.

BillMC

http://www.eyeballhq.tv/surfcheck/saunton/

The SUPs seem to get a lot of the action here.

neilco
    Free Member

So, you’re definitely onto the right plan with the try before you buy thing. It’s not for everyone and it is considered a bit ‘naff’ in certain circles, but I’ve got a board and I love it. That said, I live in Perth, Australia so am out on mine half the weekends of the year – either messing around on flat water with my five year old on the front, or failing spectacularly to surf it. Wife uses it for SUP yoga, too.

I’d question why you’d want an inflatable? If you’ve already got a kayak, invest a couple of hundred quid extra and get roof racks so you can carry one or both with you. This will get you out on the water much quicker without the faff. I’ve got a timber veneer Adventure Paddleboarding All Rounder, which was a bit pricey but absolutely lush. I’ve rented other rigid boards elsewhere and been disappointed by how much they flex, which to me saps the fun and slows you down. I can only imagine any inflatable board being worse still – but am happy to be corrected by anyone with actual experience though 🙂

As for fitness – you can go easy or you can go hard. I use mine as a core workout and it’s really effective. The necessary balance is great for posture too.

I’m lucky enough to also have a kayak and whilst both are fun, they are two quite different things and complement each other well.

Definitely give it a go and see how you get on – but do consider how much you’ll use it because they are not cheap. Can you get a second hand one? They ding up pretty quickly so any new one isn’t going to stay new for long.

Flaperon

Hi Neil,

Portable in the sense it needs to fit in an aircraft overhead locker… I can take the proverbial with maximum sizes a bit given my job but waiting at the luggage carousel for a kayak ain’t going to happen. 😉

I’ve been hunting around for second hand ones but not found that many. Excellent chance I’m looking in the wrong place though!

Dave.

Euro
    Free Member

A good mate of mine was well into it. When he started a few years back he tried to get me to join him but the sight of him and his SUP buddies slowly moving on Lough Neagh didn’t tickle me. It was up there with inline skating in the extreme stakes in my eyes. Turns out i was looking at it all wrong. He’d show me vids and pics he’d taken on his paddles (North- Northwest coast of Ireland) and the places he could get to were awesome. The kind of places you simply couldn’t get to any other way. As an exploration tool they’re fantastic (depending where you live obvs).

He’s currently selling his 2 boards (old motorbike shoulder injury playing up) and he’s getting into road cycling instead and needs to free up the funds. He was a Jimmy Lewis brand ambassador so they are decent kit in good nick if you or anyone else is interested.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The SUP North people are nice, sell good boards and may know where second hand ones are as they have an active group and also do trade ins

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only done it in the sea – lovely down current and down wind. Nightmare coming back!!! Really, really hard work. Prefer kayaking after that.

BigJohn

Some used SUPs here.

neilco
    Free Member

Portable in the sense it needs to fit in an aircraft overhead locker… I can take the proverbial with maximum sizes a bit given my job but waiting at the luggage carousel for a kayak ain’t going to happen.

Can’t argue with that!

…and yep, coming upwind is hard! A fair few times I’ve had to kneel down on the board to reduce my sail effect and get a real strong paddle in. Make sure you get an adjustable paddle! Will also help the travel issue.

andyl
    Free Member

I am trying to decide whether to get an inflatable Red SUP or a nice kayak. Had a go at SUPing the other week, just a quick hour in a sheltered bay off the north Devon coast and although I eventually managed to get around stood up it is hard work for someone with my crappy balance (I really need to improve).

At the weekend was down in newquay and it was too choppy for a SUP so hired a couple of sit on top kayaks and took the nephew out for a couple of hours. Really enjoyed it and it’s obviously much less tiring and less likely to fall in.

On the plus side with the SUP the dog quite likes sitting on the front.

tbh I will probably just buy one of each eventually. Our new place has a river at the end of the field so I am planning on building a little boat house and some steps down to the river. The water quality is questionable as lots of field run off, although there is a family of otters, so a kayak is probably going to be a better bet. Sadly there are 2 sluice gates in the way or I could get all the way to the beach.

Pook

[video]https://youtu.be/6nyoof_Pm8U[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is what I do on them, and it’s me in the photo.

Loads of different ways to enjoy paddlebaording, I’d suggest you find a demo centre and go try out some 12ft long board first on flat water, from then pic a demo board and go play on the sea for a weekend (demos can be had for the whole weekend from places like Andy Biggs Windsurfing on Hayling Island) do try to get at least one lesson in before you head out. There are techniques to paddling, control and recovery, upwind and down that are invaluable and can be had for £40 ph, it’ll improve you and your enjoyment.

Have fun in the surf.

andyl
    Free Member

WTF, I would have gone all Mr Ripley on his face with the paddle.

Flaperon

Thanks for the tips, had the lesson yesterday and really enjoyed it. Lucked out with picking a rainy Wednesday afternoon as it was just me and the instructor. .

Was able to stand straight away so had the whole two hours working on technique in between paddling the Derwent. Only managed to launch myself overboard once when trying a pivot turn from the front of the board and misjudged the tipping point… 😳

Keeping an eye out for second-hand ones now. Worth sticking with the same Red 10’6″ that I was riding yesterday?

cbike
    Free Member

Hobie have them with pedals now too.

http://www.hobiecat.com/stand-ups/mirage-eclipse/

aracer
    Free Member

That Hobie thing looks like yet another crap idea for watercraft from the marketing men desperate to take money off the gullible. There’s a reason most are propelled by paddles.

lapierrelady

We have inflatables, and love them. I would massively recommend upgrading the pump though from the one they come with, as it is a bit of a work out. Back of car to water in 10 mins. My favourite place to paddle is the Lakes (we’re on a mission to paddle every one, best so far was Derwent Water) and river paddling in high summer when the stream is low. I prefer it to kayaking as kayaking hurt my back, and by standing up you get better views (I think). Trying to plan a multi day touring trip on the Loire for next year, our SUPS have cargo nets so you could carry all your kit with you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with Red boards TBH. Good reputation, great build quality and well designed throughout.

Obvz there are many established builders, Starboard would be a good choice too, but try to get a recent design (2014 onwards) where they’ve all put a lot of effort into the vent and pump nossles. Many accessories to be bought if you think about doing longer/adventure distances, choose wisely because you can end up spending a few quid on stuff you don’t need.

Paddles most important, flinging a heavy stick around can get tiring. Alloy adjustables are fine for local pootles, but if you can afford it a light carbon one will become your new best friend. Also, spend a little time adjusting the length of the paddle to suit your reach. Rule of thumb is about 4-5 inches longer than the length of you (about a fist and a bit) then please do not forget a leash, curly ones are fine for flat water and flat water racing, straight ones for surfing and at least as long as your board in length (plus 6″)

Have fun, you’ve earned it.

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve just got a couple of 10’2″ O’Shea boards. Lots of volume and run at a slightly lower pressure than the others. Its hard enough getting to 15psi never mind 18+ that some of them run at.

I’m 95kg and plenty of volume for me in flat and the rough. As above, when you head upwind its quite tiring.

Awesome fun for exploring on the sea. If its windy i’ll go windsurfing!

Edit – Every thread needs a god in it!! 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/L3PPyV]Puppy goes SUP-ing[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

winston
    Free Member

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. SUP is the fastest growing watersport in the world for a reason – its easy to learn, hard to master, great fun, great for fitness and can be done anywhere there is water. I’ve been a kayaker and a windsurfer but now mainly SUP. In fact its has taken over as my main sport even from mtb. Just got back from 2 weeks on Garda where we took an inflatable as i couldn’t fit my hard board on the car with the bikes – was very impressed with how rigid it was (NRS Adventurer) but hard boards are better (faster, more stable for a given width) if you have the space. I would echo what others have said about a paddle – I usually use a carbon 1 piece but took a cheapish fibreglass 3 piece on holiday and it was so flexible it made paddling a lot harder than it needed to be.

The best thing about sup is that similar to cycling there is always somewhere nearby to use it – I’ve raced on canals in the Netherlands, surfed on deserted breaks where the waves were too far out or difficult to access for locals to paddle on surfboards and paddled on plenty of lakes and rivers not to mention done some multiday expeditions along the coast. Its an ace sport!

aracer
    Free Member

But the same thing goes for kayaking. Can paddle my surfski almost anywhere (well I’d not take it down rapids, but then I doubt you’d do that on a SUP) though I have other options I’d choose to use for many situations, including paddling the rapids I doubt anybody does on a SUP. Can also catch deep water waves you won’t even manage on your SUP. I’m sure SUP is great for some things, but not convinced it’s better than kayaking for others, will probably try it at some point, but would be surprised if it’s something I do a lot of.

I’ve also windsurfed – started doing more of that when taking kids to the beach, but got fed up with the rarity of getting enough wind. At which point I bought the surfski – at least with that I can still go out on a cruise when it’s flat, even if it’s a lot more fun when it’s blowing (in reality it extends the conditions range at both ends, I wasn’t good enough to take a windsurfer out in some of the conditions I’ve been out in on my surfski).

I suspect the difference to some extent is that SUP is more accessible – you have to be fairly expert to paddle a surfski when it gets big.

winston
    Free Member

White water SUP you say?

Plenty of WW sup going on – just check out Corran Addison

jam-bo

that’s just falling off a waterfall next to your SUP.

I’ve seen a fair bit of WW SUP’ing, and it all looks really poor in comparison to even an average boater.

winston
    Free Member

To be fair thats true Jambo – I wouldn’t choose a SUP to run whitewater just like a I still prefer a sea kayak for longer journeys but most of the time I just have a few hours of spare time and SUP is easy to just jump on and go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Stand up paddleboarding?’ is closed to new replies.