Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stand over height
  • colournoise

Must have been discussed countless times, but the awesome STW search is showing nothing.

Triggered by a conversation on that Facebook, how important is stand over height in terms of bike fit?

As a shorty (5’6″) I don’t think it’s that big a deal. For me how well the bike fits and felt when your on the pedals is more important, but it seems some would dismiss a bike out of hand if they couldn’t comfortably stand on the ground and easily straddle the top tube.

Who’s right and who’s wrong? Or is it a totally grey area?

legend
    Free Member

I’m with you, 5’9″ on a good day, ridden loads of bike with various stand over heights and never noticed it as soon as I’m going. Probably the last measurement I look at on a geometry table

honourablegeorge

Don’t see the point myself. If you can get the saddle down out of your way, you’re good.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

5″2 here with very short legs. As long as I can put both feet flat on the floor without hurting my genitals I’m good.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stand over height only matters when you’re stood over the bike.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Evans did offer to change my bike to give me more stand over height, but that involved waiting another two weeks for a smaller size and i don’t do waiting, and i had already fallen in love

Fresh from Evans Cycle in Birmingam

I had about a couple of millimeters clearance (depending on surface)

Two days later

Stitches and lots of drugs…..don’t ask me where or how many stitches i got (not that flexible) but it would of been easier to pee if i could do handstands.

OMG the pain was unbearable (i had to wear a skirt and go commando 😯
    and it was blooming drafty 🙁 and i couldn’t close my legs

Still have the bike as it’s blooming awesome, but stand over height does have it’s benefits (for one you wont have to wear a blinking skirt 🙁 )

It may be different for chaps as you lot have those built in airbags to cushion slamming into the top tube.

PS

Keep this post just between us as i don’t want to lose my trail skills cred 😳

muddydwarf
    Free Member

😯

rOcKeTdOg

Which bit of Brum is that “sculpture”?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Opposite cycle surgery in the round about with Hancock in.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Never had a MTB that I could sit on the saddle and touch the ground, 5’8″ short leg. Ground clearance aka BB way more important. Stack also very important

legend
    Free Member

Mrsfry, assuming that your feet were off the pedals (from whatever cause) and quickly whipped behind you, do you think extra stand over would’ve helped? In my experience once that happens you’re going to make friends with the top tune anyway – a lower one could make the fall even worse

mrsfry
    Free Member

I have no stand over height to speak of. You may be able to slide a Ritz cracker between my moomoo and the top tube but that’s it.

I never fell though, i just stood there inhaling and screaming at the same time (it’s a skill apparently) Trail surfaces are not flat and i never took that into account. I should have a smaller frame, but i love this bike to much 😳

Now i always tilt the bike when i stop

rOcKeTdOg

Wear platform shoes?

singlespeedstu

You may be able to slide a Ritz cracker between my moomoo and the top tube but that’s it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntEjsIaGIvc[/video]

mrsfry
    Free Member

You cheeky young pups

First: It aint justified (i just have to tilt to the left to pee)
    Second: It aint ancient (it’s as mature as the rest of my haggard body)
    Third: No one is going to moomoo land. It’s not a blooming Theme park!
    Fourth: I can’t look RAD in Platforms

I will chase the pair of you with my zimmer frame

chiefgrooveguru

Apart from the obvious risks of a high top tube, I also prefer to have more kneeroom when cornering.

rOcKeTdOg

Passed there today MrsFry, there were vagrants lurking so didn’t linger

MoreCashThanDash

Imagine the joy I’m having trying to find a decent bike for MrsMC – 4’10, 28″ inside leg, doesn’t have full use of her left leg and arm so can’t swing her leg over a bike saddle like a most people….

It’s a good job she is the main breadwinner I love her so much

wolfenstein
    Free Member

geez.. never ride a bike that doesnt have stand over height, its a universal law.. if it you dont have standover height then its wrong to begin with. 😯

velosam
    Free Member

I dont have much standover and over the last year or so it has not been a problem (although I only ride on bridleways at best). However I do tilt the bike getting on and off!

velosam
    Free Member

I dont have much standover and over the last year or so it has not been a problem (although I only ride on bridleways at best). However I do tilt the bike getting on and off!

fatbobb
    Free Member

I can probably fit a fag paper between my bits and the top tube and I’ve not hit my nads on it yet. I find that when I fall off, the bike is usually going in a different direction. I bought the xl frame as it fitted better in all other respects than the large.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not really got any clearance to speak of. 5’10” on a large frame. Note had an issue, if I’m crashing, the bike isn’t in a normal orientation anyway.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stand over height’ is closed to new replies.