Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stand for touring bike….
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

bought a pletscher twin leg with deluxx top plate , it doesnt fit.

(not my bike so thats not my birds nest of cabling…… but thats how it should look)

I have a small space between the stays and the bridge and the seat tube comes back at an angle meaning i lack the height to get the upper plate and the bolt in it fouls on the seat tube before its tight.

has anyone used

Fibreglass stand plate – then i could probably get away with making a new “low” profile upper plate with a countersunk hex head bolt as it wouldnt be taking as much stress and providing support more than a full on clamping anti rotational all the stress forces.

How ever i am sceptical at it being fibreglass…..

the whole reason i want the stand is to make life easier loading and unloading the panniers on tour…..Ergo its fair to say there will be a chunk of weight in….. the alternative is 2 stands one on the front pannier rack and one on the rear chainstay – but id prefer to have a center stand.

Ill go take a photo of the yolk assembly….

scotroutes

We fitted rear wheel stands to most of our hybrids last year. They seem to make them stable enough for parking, loading and unloading without also needing the front wheel stand.

My only concern is trying to get them stable on soft ground but I’m not convinced a centre stand would be any better (probably worse).

trail_rat
    Free Member

do your hybrids have a front rack ?

scotroutes

Sometimes. Few folk ask for one so we fit as requested. Barbags are much more common though. Might worth trying the rear only. See if there’s a packing loading order that’s imposed 🙂

My experience with motorbikes is that centrestands are useless on soft terrain(not that your fully loaded weight will be comparable)

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive done rear/barbags only touring – i used them all round new zealand and australia.

i want to use smaller panniers and fit 4 to balance the bike out.

Soft ground doesnt really bother me , its just a pain in the arse to find somewhere to lean 2 loaded bikes and a loaded tandem every time you want to stop be it at a cafe or for a piss or even just to admire the view.

scotroutes

Yeah, that’s why we’ve started fitting stands

trail_rat
    Free Member

woo got it on now …. needs a trim down as its a bit high the now – but still seems hella stable. be interesting to see how it is when i chuck on 1 pannier while loading it – see if its still stable !

looks like Hebie do make things that work …

To fit the double leg pletscher to this bike you need the hebie plate pictured in post 1 you also need a pletscher standard fitting it – consists of a convex plate with a countersunk 6mm bolt and it all fits neatly and solidly – the delux kit they are supplied with is too tall to fit behind the seattube

Not my bike but

Doon

Up

howarthp

I’ve got one of these which works well

http://www.click-stand.com/

headfirst
    Free Member

bookmarking

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stand for touring bike….’ is closed to new replies.