Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stan's crest rim – benefit of width & running road tyres?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Am thinking of a dynohub fr wheel to use on my commuter then occasional 24hr event (namely Strathpuffer).

My current/previous set up (I need to change the hub) has a 17mm road rim, and I’ve run it off road fine, usually with pretty high pressure as it’s then on a rigid bike off road.

Does going 17mm -> 24mm for the Crest make much of a difference? My guess is only at low pressures – not sure I’d need this @ Strathpuffer?

If so…does running a tubed 25/28mm tyre @ 70psi cause any issues?

scotroutes

Not really answering the question, but I assume you’re not planning to rely on the dynamo light for the Puffer?

jimc101
    Free Member

Mike Hall managed the Tour Divide with on, USE Revo, so not seeing any issue with using dynamo lights for any event

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Not really answering the question, but I assume you’re not planning to rely on the dynamo light for the Puffer?

As above, why wouldn’t I be?

scotroutes

Having seen the amount of lighting most of the competitors use I fear you’ll be riding in a shadow as soon as there are other folk around you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Having seen the amount of lighting most of the competitors use I fear you’ll be riding in a shadow as soon as there are other folk around you.

Which is pretty much all the time, It’s a busy old course!.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be my only light, but point taken.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

above the max psi for a stans rim

scotroutes

dirtyrider – that max psi is only if you are running tubeless

scotroutes

Al – I built my dyno into XM719 rims and they run 28mm Marathons just fine. Aren’t Crests only 21mm internal width?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahh…it’s actually 21mm internal, I can’t see that making much difference from 17, though ease of tubeless would be good.

Hang on, you think I will be getting overtaken? 😡

scotroutes

IME, the sidewall design on Stans also gives a tyre a wee bit more volume (seems that way anyway)

And I was just thinking how frustrated you would be not being able to overtake anyone else.

Honest

Ben_H

Do a search for experiences of running road tyres on Crest rims.

I couldn’t get anything less than 35c tyres on my 29″ versions – even fitting 2.4 Mountain Kings has proven impossible so far.

I wouldn’t go for Crest rims again; just too limiting in my experience. 🙁

Good luck!

simondbarnes

I couldn’t get anything less than 35c tyres on my 29″ versions

Running 32’s on mine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I ran some 28mm Conti GP4Seasons on a 29er Crest on my commuter and they were the tightest ever tyres EVER. Thank the good lord/puncture fairy I never had a puncture on a ride.

Archetype could be a good compromise – tough, 23mm, fits road and offroad tyres okay, tubeless ready.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about Hope Tech XC 29ers? Not that different to a “normal” 700c rim.

dobo
    Free Member

how about some Pacenti CL25 or TL28, apparently a bit easier to fit tyres and work ok tubeless and not bad weights. Besides crests are flexi..
    If yo want tube and tubeless flexibility the Stans Grail is supposed to do it all and fairly areo but a bit heavier, probably less flexi than a crest too

swanny853

I have fitted 23c Michelin somethings to crests. They looked a little funny so i never did more than ride them down the road and back.

The line I got from stans was no less than 28s, with tubes, Max 80psi. That was no problem although wire bead tyres were a bit stiff to get on.

You could look at the American classic 101- similar to crests in all important respects but the BSD is more normal with a retention barb thing so they may fit roadie tyres more easily. I’d email them to check though.

They look smarter too! Built one up, took it out for its first ride today (MTB not road), seems to work.

firestarter
    Free Member

The newer design rim does make the tyre a bit bigger than old ones used to
    for sure it makes the tyre look like its on a wider rim. As for tyres ive never understood people not getting tyres on ive never had a problem with any tyres ive tried on 3 sets of crests. Reckon its technique 😉

jameso

Pacenti CL25s, as mentioned above. 21mm internal and much better for tubes/tubeless mixed use ime as the sidewall depth / bead seat is a little different. Using up to 50c on the pair I have, no issues fitting tubed tyres w/o levers etc.

dmc
    Free Member

I asked the question to stans about max tyre pressure on Crest rims this was the reply….

> Hi,
    >
    > Running 29er crest rims on my cross bike with tubes and using for commuting to
    and from work. whats the maximum tyre pressure i can run on these rims ? tires
    say 100psi
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > dc

Crest rims are only rated for 45psi max. Tire pressures will always be
    higher than rim max pressures. Always follow what the rim can handle.

Shawn VanEtten
    Product and Warranty
    Stan’s NoTubes
    202 Daniel Zenker Dr
    Big Flats, NY 14814
    607-562-2877 x 215

swanny853

Some people at stans need to talk to each other!

Quote-

The Crest and the Iron Cross both do not work that well with road tires and tubes. They will not work at all with road tubeless tires. On the Crest the smallest I would run would be a 28 but the pressure might be limited by the rim to 80psi.

I would recommend the Alpha 340 as it works with road tires and cross tires.

Peter Kastner
    System Manager
    Stan’s NOTUBES
    202 Daniel Zenker Dr
    Big Flats, NY 14814
    Phone: (607) 562-2877 x204
    Fax: (607) 562-2879

eddie11
    Free Member

Bump

Any update on your quest al?

I’m trying to answer this impossible question, a rim that will work off-road on a dyno hub but can be used for commuting. Pacenti t25 or t28 look a possibility. Also anyone running stans Grail as a mountain bike rim. It’s the same internal width as a crest but I worry about the strength.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just built it up with a narrow road rim, its not been ridden with 2″ tyres but I’ve used them on my open pros OK.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stan's crest rim – benefit of width & running road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.