Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Stanchion wear from cable
  • timwillows
    Free Member

Just spotted a grove worn in my fork stanchion by the derailleur cable, about 5mm long by 2mmm by half deep. its not causing an issue with travel as its too high up. Question is, is this just annoying or is it actually dangerous? Secondly, could this be a warranty claim as cables are exactly as per when the bike was bought?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just annoying, if it actually annoys you.

Wear and tear…and common sense.

simondbarnes

Secondly, could this be a warranty claim as cables are exactly as per when the bike was bought?

No

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry but it’s not warranty. Have you really not noticed sooner?

Also, if it’s on the stanction, it should effect travel as the forks should be using it all on bit hits if set up properly.

It can be dangerous. Stanctiions are not particularly thick. It’s a heavily loaded part so depending on how you ride, it could be pretty critical.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

^ affect

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also, if it’s on the stanction, it should effect travel as the forks should be using it all on bit hits if set up properly.

I find it impressive you can tell this without knowing what the fork is…..

iainc

How does the routing put a gear cable on the fork stanchion ? Sounds odd.

shortcut

This needs pics. Are they triple clamp DH forks with the worn bit above the the lower crown?

iolo
    Free Member

Secondly, could this be a warranty claim as cables are exactly as per when the bike was bought?

😆 😆 😆 🙄

chay
    Free Member

just had my girlfriends fox stanchion replaced due to wear. Check out regeneration suspension, they did a top job, could be a cheap solution for you.http://regensuspension.co.uk/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thought we were talking about a Fox f120 qr15 actually so it would affect the suspenstion, or at least be less than ideal for the seals.

fbk
    Free Member

As iainc said, the derailleur cable shouldn’t be anywhere near the fork stanchions. Unless it’s the upper section of a triple clamp fork, in which case a superficial groove is unlikely to cause any issue at all. Pics would make the whole thing a lot clearer.

Best do something now to stop it getting any worse though. It’s amazing how much damage something as simple as a bit of cabling can cause.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Definitely needs a pic. Which fork?

saxabar
    Free Member

I think the OP has a point here, although doubtful s/he will get anything back via warranty. Why do some manufacturers sell bikes knowing full well that cable housing will rub grooves into the top of a fork/frame? Yes, there’s helitape, but…

timwillows
    Free Member

Fork is a Fox FLOAT 32 single crown
    Front derailleur cable rubs on its way to internal routing, perhaps should have gone the other side of the frame?
    Pictures here

(hopefully links and images work)

DT78
    Free Member

Wtf.

That looks way to long a cable, it should be above the brace. If anything rub is usually on the crown or headtube.

You should really have spotted that long before it got that bad

timwillows
    Free Member

I know, but kind of hidden and part of what I assumed would have bee set up right in the first place – I don’t feel the need to check cables on my car in case they have been fitted incorrectly

julians
    Free Member

If thats how it came from the shop , ie they assembled it and gave it you like that (ie you didnt assemble it yourself) , I reckon you could have a case for a warranty claim on that. The cable is clearly too long and has caused the problem.

I’d go back to where it was bought from and point out an assembly defect has broken the forks.

The problem you’ll have is that its not a claim on the forks warranty, the cable warranty or the frame warranty, its just poor assembly has caused a problem, so the party responsible for assembly should foot the bill for putting it right. In an ideal world none of that should be your issue, but depending on how scrupulous the place you bought it from is, they could try and give you the run around.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah that’s really bad. At first I thought it was madness to suggest a warranty job but having seen the pictures I’m less sure. I guess see what the shop says then report back.

iainc

Agree, take it back to the shop. How old is it ?

Fundamentally sloppy build.

legend
    Free Member

The cable is clearly too long and has caused the problem.

I’d wager that the cable is about the right length but that it should actually be going around the other side of the headtube instead of the wonky routing shown.

Saying it’s “kind of hidden” won’t help at all though, it’s clearly up against a moving part of the bike.

Back to the shop first, then a nice email/phone call to Whyte would be my approach. Definitely the shop at fault though, that’s got Saturday Boy written all over it

timwillows
    Free Member

unfortunately, 13 months – which I suspect weakens my case

z1ppy

That’s a fitting issues, no way it a warranty job, if a shop fitted it complain to them, but don’t expect the manufacturer to be interested (with good reason). The likes of Cannonfail, specifically reworded there warranty to exclude cable wear, some years back (after a model was badly affected by their own cable routing)

hudders
    Free Member

I take it by the fact that the gear cables are gray and the brake hoses are black that this is not a production bike, was it built up by the shop?, I have never seen a cable fitted that long, it’s as if the spanner monkey just fitted the gear outer suppled in the box without cutting it down, we call long cables animal catchers and take the piss out of mates for having long cables, you would have made world champ with that, I’m also wondering how you didn’t get hooked up every time you rode anywhere.

cookeaa

Really you rode it for a whole year without spotting that?!?…

If that’s how the shop set it up then yep, sloppy work and they should be ashamed, but after a years use, clearly with no user maintenance or inspection. I expect they would strongly resist any attempt to make a claim… Name and shame OP?

pictonroad

Wasn’t it awkward turning right?

singlespeedstu

I’d check the cable /hose on the opposite side too.
    Looks like that’s also running on the stanchion.

I’ve seen a fair few production/ready built bikes with cables that are too long.
    Maybe they just have one length of cable no matter what size frame it’s fitted to?

roverpig

First off, whoever put that together should be ashamed of themselves. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, basic pride in their work (if they’ve got any) should make them want to put that right.

Second, it should be causing an issue. If the forks aren’t compressing enough to reach that point on most rides then I’d suggest that they are not set up properly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Stu, that’s exactly what it is. Factory orders all shifters to fit the largest frame.

When I worked in a shop, I would trim these down as part of the pdi. Boss hated the time I spent on a bike but we never ever had this situation.

bruneep

😯

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes cable is to long, lack of care when assembling, BUT it could of been sitting on top of the crown (like most cables and cable wear of a lot of bikes) and “dropped” down with use. a simple zip tie up near the lever brake/hose would of prob stopped that.

BUT were do you DRAW THE LINE, what about about cable rub on top of forks/crown area and headtube area, I seen CORRECT LENGTH cables rub/wear groves in fork crowns and frames headtubes (carbon & metal)
    So Who’s FAULT is it?
    Manufacturers
    Shops
    Or the owner for not protecting their bike properly? (with tape/invisiframe etc)

Also 13 mths is a long time to not be spotted before hand, what about the insp of the forks that needs to be carried out every ride to 10 hours?
    why wasn’t it notices when it was cleaning the bike etc?

Sorry think it’s going to be a grey area.

rab5474
    Free Member

I dont think you have a leg to stand in as regards anything from the shop / warranty. Yes the shop should be ashamed that they gave it to you with a cable like that. as said above fox forks require periodic inspection by the user, if you are not comfortable inspecting them yourself, you should have taken them to your LBS who would have picked up on the issue before it got that bad.

It looks like its new CSU time for you which isnt cheap

timwillows
    Free Member

Sadly I agree its likely to be grey.
    Cable tie not an option, too much cable to make it sit there

matt_outandabout

I think the shop will suggest you should have spotted that earlier than 13 months.:(

Sloppy workmanship though, really sloppy.

bearnecessities

I don’t think you have a leg to stand on

Nice 8)

andyl
    Free Member

I would agree with the “should have been spotted by you when cleaning/inspecting the bike”

also what about servicing? Have you serviced the forks at all in that time?

Looking at the O ring on the other leg, assuming it’s not been pushed down, you don’t seem to be using that point of the stanchion anyway.

Even if you did it would probably only cause a problem with the wiper and foam seams in the top of the fork so as long as there is no sharp corner it shouldnt be a problem. You could always fill it with epoxy and smooth it over (carefully as to to not damage any more of the coating) to stop dirt going in there and getting past your wiper seal.

Structurally i have no idea. Keep a close eye on it for cracks.

granny_ring

Would be interested to hear what the shop has to say on this one too as that is piss poor work, but like others have said you should have noticed this when you got the bike.
    Lesson learned!
    Hope the shop do something for you anyhow as in go halves for new a stanchions job from Mojo?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Defo too long. Nice looking bike by the way, that colour works well on it. I want a Whyte now. Along with a Nicolai and a Liteville

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Stanchion wear from cable’ is closed to new replies.