Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Stanchion Wear
  • lurchh
    Free Member

How long can I run a fork into the ground? Looking to get a cheap set of forks for a play bike and found some cheap Pikes but one of the stanchions on them is properly destroyed. Any idea how long could it work like this with regular servcing until I get something better? And on a side note, what RS uppers would be compatiable with Pike 454 solo air? Cheers

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Until you can’t get a wiper seal to work any more is my take on it .

I’ve got a set like that on a winter bike, still going strong 5 years after the coating came off and don’t feel any different to my other forks that still have their coating on

Those forks in the pic wouldn’t bother me on a winter/fun bike as long as the price is right

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have run a set of pikes like that for about a year and a half. Drop the lowers every couple weeks and lube up the foam wiper with float fluid or similar. Chuck a good amount of oil in the lowers…. Engine oil 5-30 or 10-40 fully synthetic will be fine. I stuck twice the usual amount in so about 15ml ish. Before every ride invert the forks for a few mins to allow oil to lubricate upper bushing. Job done.

The wear on stanchion could possibly accelerate wear to bushing but so long as it’s lubricated this will be slowed down.

If there is any play in the fork when rocking back and forward with front brake on then leave it be.

Northwind

I just bought a very cheap Reba that looks much the same, gave it a lowers service, it works just fine, just going to use it til it dies. It’ll damage the bushings too but I just don’t really care, it’s barely economic to replace uppers.

nuke

If there is any play in the fork when rocking back and forward with front brake on then leave it be.

^ this for me. Stanchion wear might increase a bit of stiction but no biggy. Extra maintenance to slow further wear is no major hassle either. What would irritate me when riding is knocking from worn bushings…thats the point I’d bin them off.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I have a pair of rockshox Lyriks that look just like that and they run fine, I just keep em clean around the seals and change the oil every 3 or 4 months and they are Dandy, no noticeable loss in performance at all, im changing to Lyric coil shortly so mine will be up for sale cheap if anyone wants a pair? 😉

lurchh
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I’ll just use them till they break then upgrade. @Lawmanmx how much?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

£100 they work very well and are in other than the one scab on the left stanction in very good condition.
    I can send pics if you are interested?

gee
    Free Member

That’s too much IMO. Maybe £70 max

dannyh
    Free Member

Drop the lowers every couple of weeks

Doesn’t sound like much of a ‘fun’ or ‘winter’ bike if you’re having to go to that amount of bother looking after the forks(?)

As above, the fork will work fine until the bushings are knackered, at that point it is probably time to walk away.

chay
    Free Member

Lurch just had my forks with worn stanchions repaired at Suspension Regeneration Technologies, they can replace the worn stanchions with new ones and they are now like brand new, worth a call to them.

Del

cost?

chay
    Free Member

Mine was 55. Give him a call as I know prices do vary.

chay
    Free Member
    Lawmanmx
    Free Member

gee – Member
    That’s too much IMO. Maybe £70 max.
    these ones are not for you then mate 😉

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Thanks for that chay, it looks like im going to get these fixed by Regen and convert them to coil myself 🙂
    you just saved me a good few quid on new forks there mate 8)

mikemountainbike
    Free Member

Hi guys I have 32mm 34mm 36mm and 35mm (special order) stanchions available to suit fox, rockshox, and Bos forks.
    http://regensuspension.co.uk/gallery/
    Cheers mike

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

have you got 35mm Lyrik stanchions in stock then Mike?

andybrad

hi mike,

Im interested in this. Are your stanchions bike specific ones? and how do you re attache them to the crown? id be worried about them comming out.

jeff

interesting service you’re offering Mike! Got some old Pike in desperate need…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can you get 35mm black stanchions for Lyrik DPAs?

mikemountainbike
    Free Member

Hi all yes my stanchions. Are made in Taiwan and are bike specific. I have in stock a small number of original rockshox stanchions for 32mm and 35mm forks including Lyriks. I also have some non anodised 35mm stanchions which I’m testing on some lyriks see my face book page.
    https://www.facebook.com/Regensuspension
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Cheers mike

I_Ache
    Free Member

Quite like the look of those green Lyriks with black stanchions. I maight have a look at getting a 2nd hand tapered CSU (mine is 1/8 frame is tapered) and have you put some black Stanchions in them.

mikemountainbike
    Free Member

I’ll check but think I have a tapered lyrik crown. Drop me your details on my website and will get in touch next week when I return to the UK.
    Cheers mike

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

@mikemountainbike. £55 = one stanchion or two?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Also, a question, are you buying the stanchions already coated or are you getting ’em coated locally? If so, is it possible to re-coat old stanchions? I ask as only very recently I noted some slight metallic looking dust on my stanchions after a race, after pulling the lowers I found what I’d feared,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129593813@N03/17690417925/in/dateposted-public/

There must have been some grit/dirt caught in the wiper as the oil inside the fork was still nice and clear, wear is right on the wiper 🙁

The wear is very slight so far so I wondered if re-coating was a possibility?

andybrad

Hi Mike,

Can you get the stanctions out and back in without damage? Im looking to get mine re coated using a specific process were looking to use at work but am unable to separate them without knackering them

mikemountainbike
    Free Member

Hi guys
    I get most of my stanchions anodised at source but use a company in the uk for some.
    Re anodising is problematic because you have to strip the original coating before re anodising this effects tolerances with the crown interface and the bushes in the lower legs. I know this from experience and have arrived at my current repair process after more than a few wasted hours and trips to metal finishers.

Cheers mike

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I would just like to Thank Mike for doing a fantastic job putting a new stanction on my forks while I was up his way over the weekend, was nice meeting you mate and I shall be passing on your number and details to all who need your Excellent services 🙂
    Tony (Lawmanmx)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Stanchion Wear’ is closed to new replies.