Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stanchion wear
  • philfive
    Free Member

how much stanchion wear is too much? just changed the wiper seals on my fox floats and it is a mess on the damper side under the seals. i have done the wiper seal service a few times but only while the legs are still attached. other than more friction the structure is sound.

uplink
    Free Member

Run them into the ground is usually the best advice when they’ve gone
    They last a surprisingly long time

grum
    Free Member

Nail varnish trick works too.

philfive
    Free Member

uplink that was my idea too 😀

eshershore
    Free Member

i have done the wiper seal service a few times but only while the legs are still attached. other than more friction the structure is sound.

so you have never done the Fox Factory recommended “lowers service” which takes only 10-15 minutes with practise?

there is a reason that Fox (and most competent suspension tuners or suspension-trained mechanics) recommend the complete “lowers service”

doing the ‘wiper seal service’ is a quick-fix, but causes problems with premature stanchion wear in the long-term 😉

philfive
    Free Member

There are quite a few videos and write ups of it being done without removing the lowers. Never thought there could be so much unseen damage, Lesson learned.

flow
    Free Member

Dime bar!

philfive
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say “dime bar” just followed a guide online as i never had any instructions with the bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stanchion wear’ is closed to new replies.