Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stanchion scratch repair – is it actually worth it?
  • filks

So I scratched my lovely kashima coat on my Fox 32’s whilst popping the seals out for a lube and greasing 😥

It is about 2cm long in an “L” shape; it can be felt when running my finger over it but I’ve removed any sharp edges. Is it really worth filling it and wet n dry papering? Or will I just wear more of the kashima down for little benefit? What do I risk by not filling it?

chakaping
    Free Member

I never bother, no ill effects to report – and I scratched my Pike stanchion about 18 months ago.

iainc

I get some fine wet and dry and gently sand the rough edges, then leave it. Alway been fine, so far.

Got a few scratches on my 2 ride old Fox Transfer dropper the other day when bikes were being passed over fences ….. gave it a wee sand earlier tonight.

ade9933
    Free Member

I’ve used very fine wet’n’dry paper and then covered with clear nail varnish previously which did the job.

martymac

Mate of mine used very fine wet n dry on a scratch on the shaft of his shock, just enough to remove any sharp edges.
    That was a year ago, its still fine.
    I guess if you do that and its leaking air (or oil) then you can investigate something a little more time consuming.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IME on forks it makes no difference

My pikes got scratched about a week after purchase and I have never seen any additional wear or dirt in the oil /seals at service

As others note sand it so no sharp edges and try nail polish if a bit deep

PS its the old pikes so about 8 years use so far

mildbore

I scratched my Pikes and only varnished them for cosmetic reasons. Kashima? Use gold if you gonna do it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stanchion scratch repair – is it actually worth it?’ is closed to new replies.