Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Stanage Causeway is getting flattened.
  • br
    Free Member

One thing I’ve learnt from living in Scotland is that while every trail is open to everyone, it doesn’t mean that is either passable or fun for either one particular group or in fact, anyone.

The sooner all of the UK adopts Right-to-Roam the better, and I would guess, cheaper for local authorities too – as they don’t need to maintain to any standard (or as in Scotland, even put up a sign).

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

The repair work that is to take place on Stanage Causeway and the view-point of local MTBers both here and elsewhere (check out page 1 for links to Ride Sheffield and Peak MTB) has been well aired. On balance, there is agreement on two things:

1) The condition of this byway has deterieorated significantly in the past 10 years, mostly attributable to 4×4 usage. It needs to be repaired, but many would prefer if the repairs were sensitive to the nature of the surrounding environment and history of the history of the area. It would be preferrable if some of the track features are preserved, which would make it a more interesting route for all (whether on 2 wheels, 2 feet or 4 feet), rather than becoming a 3-4 metre wide gravel path.

2) Derbyshire CC have a history of non-consultation, and responding to single complaints and threats of legal action by flattening several byways and bridleways, often covering them in gravel or road planings.

When I first came to Sheffield 20 years ago I could ride down the entire causeway on a HT with 50-60mm of elastomer suspension (remember Manitou 3s?). Now the middle section has been torn up so much by the 4x4s that I either crash or give up and walk down that section. I’m sure it is currently impassable for horses. So personally I think it needs fixing so all premitted users can enjoy it. The sad part is that DCC only know how to fix it in one way 🙁

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

So now we’ll have two very smooth sections and a horrendous boulder field in the middle – that should keep everyone unhappy.

No, it’s the “horrendous boulderfield” all the way up to Stanage Pole that is to be flattened. The section from the pole to Redmires is the Sheffield CC part and that is not being touched

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t pick holes in stuff that doesn’t need it

I’m sure there’s a job waiting for you at Derbyshire County Council… 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

One of my favourite places for a stroll – Alderly Edge is getting ruined by making all the trails wheelchair access.

Yeah, fricking disableds.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is, yes – does confer any kind of special requirement? Is Stannage Edge supposed to be a particular way?

Well, yes, it’s Stanage, it’s the Stanage Causeway, it is what it is, a rocky track off a rock.

In the same way I don’t expect a rock garden on the local sustrans route, I don’t expect a sustrans route on Stanage Edge.

christhetall
    Free Member

So now we’ll have two very smooth sections and a horrendous boulder field in the middle – that should keep everyone unhappy.

No, it’s the “horrendous boulderfield” all the way up to Stanage Pole that is to be flattened. The section from the pole to Redmires is the Sheffield CC part and that is not being touched

That’s not what the OP says. The boulder field is on the Derbyshire side

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

The boulder field is on the DCC side, and the plan has always been for DCC to flatten that all the way up the Sheffield CC border at Stanage Pole.

The OP only said they were putting signs up at the Redmires side…

Just been out on a lunch time ride which was going lovely until I came across a Derbyshire CC van. Two workmen were putting up a notice at the Redmires end indicating that in a couple of weeks it will be sanitised up to the Sheffield border which I think is Stanage Pole.

Sorry if my earlier post wasn’t clear, but I am sure what I said is correct.

christhetall
    Free Member

In the same way I don’t expect a rock garden on the local sustrans route, I don’t expect a sustrans route on Stanage Edge.

The causeway is wide enough to allow for both – a smooth option for walkers, horses and touring cyclists, and a bit of rough for those of us who want it. Sheff has done that to an extent on Houndkirk, although the rough side is nowhere near as rough as it used to be.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s not what the OP says. The boulder field is on the Derbyshire side

Exactly, the pole is the boundry, so the Derbyshire side is all the way to the pole.

christhetall
    Free Member

Ah you might be right – I thought the OP said the work was from Redmires to the Pole – I didn’t see the bit about Derbyshire CC workmen. Everthing makes sense now. I’ve had a bad week OK ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haha, yea, I did read it back and your interpretation makes almost as much sense.

Both might be true, DCC might be accessing the Causeway from the top via Redmires, I imagine it’s a lot easier to move material down the causeway than up it.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

If it wasn’t clear the first time.

The Sheffield side is being left alone. (having had some work in the last few years).

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It would be great if those who complain on here could bring sufficient weight to bear on the landowners/authorities to allow some specific mtb trails in the state “we” want them, if we could ever agree on that, but until then, we live and ride with what we have.

Or at the very least join either Ride Sheff or PeakDistrictMTB, we are trying very hard to do just that – actually sign up not just like on Facebook, better still join both the more people we have signed up the better, or attend the meetings being held.

A good example of an opportunity lost was the meeting held by the Peak Park about what happens to the North Lees Estate – Stanage Causeway is bang in the middle so it was raised. Unfortunately, the number of visible MTB riders was 3 – Henry and John from RS and me from PDMTB, we made comments and suggestions but where were the hoards of concerned riders? Oh yes, it was sunny so probably riding, or on here moaning about trail sanitisation!!

There was lot’s of soothing noises made by PDNPA, lot’s of nice touchy feely stuff about gathering thoughts and concerns, writing things on big sheets of paper and plans to ‘share’. But guess who was not invited? Yup, DCC, the ones who have a legal obligation to maintain the causeway and who can, it seems, act with impunity. Surely, it would have been better to have them involved?

Additionally, at our meeting with DCC some months ago (there’s a long piece on the PDMTB website recounting the meeting) the view was clearly stated that they look to restore the routes to a standard that allows it to be used for its original purpose – Stanage Causeway, according to DCC, was a packhorse route and therefore should be maintained as such. They also believed that the lack of horse traffic was due to the state of the trail, so they have a Field of Dreams view of the route.

The horse riders are extremely well connected, they have influence. They are very clever at applying the pressure where it needs to be applied and in a way that ensures they are seen as responsible and reasonable – it’s a good plan and it seems top be working.

PDMTB is meeting with Peak Horsepower to try and understand what their ultimate aims are and if we share any common goals. We will post the outcome of the meeting on the PDMTB website. We are also meeting the NFU to do likewise and to try and understand what we need to do to get the landowners and tenant farmers to engage with us.

But in the meantime, join RS and PDMTB, the bigger the membership, the stronger the voice.

stumpy01

I don’t visit the peaks very often so don’t know the names of all the places, but about a month ago we went for a ride that started from Hayfield and went steeply up after a mile or so to the top of Jacobs ladder. It had been covered in fist sized boulders all the way and was bloody horrible. We kept yo-yo-ing past several groups of walkers who were all saying how awful it was to walk on too.
    Last time we did that route it was a tough but do-able climb and i don’t remember any features that would have been too craggy for horses/walkers.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

AFAIK that work was done by the NT on a route across their land. There’s a thread about it on here somewhere.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats a shame loved that boulderfield first time i cleaned it was in 2003 on my gasgas 200.That part of the peaks is becoming very uninteresting these days.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve read a few pieces on this recently from the other points of view, including walking sites linked off the BMC.

The general temperament seems to be that everyone – including some 4×4 Greenlaner groups agree that ‘bad’ 4×4 users are to blame but some of the walkers and equestrians want to exclude anything with wheels – and most people fall between the two, but some lump us in with illegal scramblers. Cheeky footpath use seems to be a particular bone of contention. The sane/tolerant are putting this down to mountainbiking being a new sport with many recent starters who’ve never come across the concept of access rights and assume (wrongly, in the uk) that everything’s fair game.

If there’s outreach being attempted to try and sort the mess out before we get ourselves excluded as being too mouthy it can only be a good thing. Must try and make some time for this.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It doesn’t surprise me. A few of the cheeky trails that I used to ride a lot in Wyming Brook have been turned into motorways which is a shame because they were great fun. I know they’re not built for us, but even my folks who still live there and walk a lot don’t like it. And they’re old so yo would have thought smooth stuff would be easier to walk on!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Wyming brook…Motorways? No it isn’t.

its more overgrown than it was 20 odd years ago.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

The causeway was a difficult technical climb; on a MTB and to some extent on foot.
    Now it is just a boring disgrace; to those on bikes and on foot alike.

Those of you that in some way think that the chippings are helpful; in turning it into an ‘ascent’ – really!

thepodge
    Free Member

27 days ago I rode up those “chippings” on the singlespeed and they were fine. Probably because they are hard packed into the ground so yes it has been helpful

It’s not supposed to be a difficult technical climb it’s supposed to be a byway open to all traffic

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Stanage Causeway is getting flattened.’ is closed to new replies.