Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stainless steel frame via titanium
  • ibnchris

Am still looking for my dream hardtail frame…I’ve already previously unashamedly admitted I wanted to go titanium ‘just because’ and now I’m I’m thinking since a big part of that ‘just because’ was shiny skinny tubes then why not stainless steel?

Anyone know any good steel builders who build in stainless steel? Budget is probably around 1600 for the frame which gets quite a nice custom ti frame so wondering what’s available in steel. It’d be 29er with lots of tyre clearance and built for a 120mm fork…

qwerty
    Free Member

Get yourself to http://www.bespoked.cc

Rik
    Free Member

Sword cycles builds in stainless – top bloke who know how’s to braze

I’m sure somebody on here or bearbones forum has a Sword custom stainless bikepacking bike. Very reasonable rates too

tmb467
    Free Member

Saffron frameworks

There’s a hardtail or two on the list – not cheap mind

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother; it’ll dent really easily.

Northwind

The nice thing about ti is it doesn’t have to be shiny- my ragley was brushed or blasted or something straight from the factory, so it was easy to look after (scotchbrite pad made it look like new). Also, give it a wipe with oil and, I don’t know exactly how to describe it but it gave it an effect like looking through water- lovely.

tang
    Free Member

If I was going for a stainless MTB frame I’d be looking at Reynolds 921. Some good options on wall thickness with that tube set, plus cheaper than 953. Find a builder that understands it. I would be looking at Ted James, Sven, feather, saffron, Rourke or Hartley. They’ve all got great experience of working with stainless. I work for Bespoked show so I’ve spent many an hour with Reynolds and nerdy builders….

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to mean skinny tubes….I replaced an alloy CX frame with Ti and the tubes/stays are bigger (it obviously depends on manufacturer)

I’m sure you don’t need to be told, but raw metal (Ti/St.St) really does look so damn nice, even when covered in mud. I’ve not washed mine since last September….I just let the mud dry and brush it off with an old paint-brush.

As Northwind says, you can get some lovely finishes to Ti….brushed/satin/passivated etc….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stainless steel frame via titanium’ is closed to new replies.